Got your black eyed peas?

Help Support CattleToday:

MO_cows

Reaction score
Gotta have black eyed peas on New Year's Day for luck. This is a tradition from my dear departed mother in law. She was from a tiny little town on the Mo/Ark border and very southern influenced. She insisted all her kids come by and have a bowl on New Year's day for luck. Unfortunately, she didn't cook them very well, they were always very bland. So one year, my husband showed up early while they were cooking and started adding to the pot. Everyone liked them better so then we got elected to cook them. The recipe has evolved to where we look forward to them, not just choke them down. This year we have some spicy venison sausage to cook them with, will also have onion and garlic in the pot, some V 8 juice and beer. A couple of cast iron skillets of cornbread on the side.

I didn't care for them as a kid, but love them now. Even my kids love them. We have them no less than once a week. Tina normally pours in a jar of diced stewed tomatoes to cook them in. I'll have to tell her about the V8.

Ouachita":n5detb9s said:
I didn't care for them as a kid, but love them now. Even my kids love them. We have them no less than once a week. Tina normally pours in a jar of diced stewed tomatoes to cook them in. I'll have to tell her about the V8.

Start rendering chopped bacon with onion and bell pepper. Add water peas, minced garlic, salt and black pepper. About halfway through cooking add a can of Rotel...wichever heat you like. And of course this is for fresh or frozen peas. Dry ones aren't worth the trouble.

BE peas, fried hog Jowl, mustard or turnips, real cornbread, fresh ham, smoke ham is whats on the menu Tuesday. Old wives tale for New years- if the first person to stop by your house on nee years is a man you will have good luck.

Latest posts