Got wood ?

Help Support CattleToday:

I see you have a touch of ADHD too. It's easy to see, I just look for all the halfway finished projects. :lol:

If you grind the point of the nail (about half to 2/3 of it), it will drive easier. Sounds like bullshyt, I know, but try it sometime. A sharp nail separates the wood grain and gets "wedged". A more blunt nail actually shears the grain.
Heard of the talcom powder, never tried it though

hooknline":3d5pomzn said:
I see you have a touch of ADHD too. It's easy to see, I just look for all the halfway finished projects. :lol:

Guilty... If you look around my place you will find 2 projects not completed at any given time lol

Ouachita":5qoq5iso said:
If you grind the point of the nail (about half to 2/3 of it), it will drive easier. Sounds like bullshyt, I know, but try it sometime. A sharp nail separates the wood grain and gets "wedged". A more blunt nail actually shears the grain.
Heard of the talcom powder, never tried it though

I will try that as well its always good to have alot of ammo in your bag when you are doing projects.

slick4591":yeqi0mqx said:
Ouachita":yeqi0mqx said:
A sharp nail separates the wood grain and gets "wedged". A more blunt nail actually shears the grain.

...and reduces splitting.

I remember being told the opposite in wood shop. They advised us to blunt the nail if you were worried about it splitting the wood!

if i were to stain some of that oak what kind of stains makes it look the glossy honey color and is the best to use?

skyhightree1":13k7z26e said:
hooknline":13k7z26e said:

Guilty... If you look around my place you will find 2 projects not completed at any given time lol
Only 2? You must be taking some of those meds. I'm afraid to count round here.

skyhightree1":3d8loprc said:
if i were to stain some of that oak what kind of stains makes it look the glossy honey color and is the best to use?
Don't bother staining yet. It's still green. Spray it with some fungicide periodically until your lowest humidity time of year. Then soak it with a mix of diesil and used motor oil. The grass under the fence will be much greener. I am not joking. That white oak will then last as long as any modern day "treated wood". Only way to make it last longer is to fire treat it.

Ouachita I should have been more clear I may make a book shelf for my kids with it but I guess I will wait a while before worrying about staining it.

skyhightree1":24hphf78 said:
Ouachita I should have been more clear I may make a book shelf for my kids with it but I guess I will wait a while before worrying about staining it.

Oh, I only seen the exterior project pictures. Sorry about.
Disclaimer......DON'T spray diesil on anything you intend to sleep next to :lol2:

lol... Yea I dont think that would be a good idea. I just thought about making a book shelf for them after my outdooor projects are done lol

sim.-ang.king":1kig97e5 said:
Probably would be more useful if you got a bunch, but when I see them get sawed into lumber it almost makes me cry. :lol:
U will find even though they are both white oak there is a hugh difference in white oak grown in eastern VA and yours in IL. Much of the reason the land is in timber is that it was farmed to death 200+ years ago. The people just abandoned the land and moved west and cleared new land. Even here in the western mountains of VA the veneer quality white oak that you see as common is rare.

And with a title like Got wood I cant believe nobody has taken the bait already. You guys slipping. Where is Jogee? Oh wait the weird dude from Ok will probably take care of that on the late shift. hahaha

kenny thomas":ays9ojdf said:
sim.-ang.king":ays9ojdf said:
Probably would be more useful if you got a bunch, but when I see them get sawed into lumber it almost makes me cry. :lol:
U will find even though they are both white oak there is a hugh difference in white oak grown in eastern VA and yours in IL. Much of the reason the land is in timber is that it was farmed to death 200+ years ago. The people just abandoned the land and moved west and cleared new land. Even here in the western mountains of VA the veneer quality white oak that you see as common is rare.
Hmmm didn't know there would be a lot of difference, thanks...guess i'm lucky to have high grade oak.....about the only thing high grade that I have. ;-) :lol2:

and I can see what you mean the good one in your area got cut out years ago compared to what we are basically just getting into.

kenny thomas":mjt46lfi said:
sim.-ang.king":mjt46lfi said:

And with a title like Got wood I cant believe nobody has taken the bait already. You guys slipping. Where is Jogee? Oh wait the weird dude from Ok will probably take care of that on the late shift. hahaha
I thought of working with that title but I let it go.

jedstivers":3fjc3zjx said:
kenny thomas":3fjc3zjx said:
sim.-ang.king":3fjc3zjx said:

I thought of working with that title but I let it go.

Dam great minds think alike. I thought the title was funny too. Course I thought those Oklahoma lot lizzards would try to make fun of it all. So, I let the sleepin dog lie

and I can see what you mean the good one in your area got cut out years ago compared to what we are basically just getting into.[/quote]

Not just that they were cut, they were never really the same. Sandy soil in the east grew a different timber that the deep black soil you have. We still have white oak that are 300 years old but that doesnt give them quality. Just like calves, what they eat sure made a difference in how they develop. Southern and eastern timber just does not have the % of veneer like the more northern. In the south and east Wild Cherry is junk but in Penn it can be worth a fortune.

kenny thomas":3t266bva said:
and I can see what you mean the good one in your area got cut out years ago compared to what we are basically just getting into.

Not just that they were cut, they were never really the same. Sandy soil in the east grew a different timber that the deep black soil you have. We still have white oak that are 300 years old but that doesnt give them quality. Just like calves, what they eat sure made a difference in how they develop. Southern and eastern timber just does not have the % of veneer like the more northern. In the south and east Wild Cherry is junk but in Penn it can be worth a fortune.[/quote]
So like southern pine and northern pine...I see.
Have some blow over post oaks, would any of you poor southern boys like some? :lol2: :lol2: