Got Turtle?

Help Support CattleToday:

rla442

Reaction score
I got this little guy on the trap line yesterday. He's the biggest one yet this season. Anyone have any recipes? I'm thinking of grinding and making some turtle burgers.
turtle.jpg

Yech!

Personally I would throw it back in the water and move on to something that at least tasted good.

If it does not go moo, baaa, or oink I geneally leave it be unless I know I am going to starve.

Reptiles - not a food source for this western guy

Bez__

Nothing wrong with turtle fried. I generally boil them for 10 minutes in a crab/seafood boil then bread and deep fry. I also do up a gumbo. I've cut up 4 turtles already and still have the traps out and was really thinking of grinding this one into burger. I've caught a lot more than 4 but in Ohio we can only keep those over 13 inches.

rla442":26fkx6lb said:
Nothing wrong with turtle fried. I generally boil them for 10 minutes in a crab/seafood boil then bread and deep fry. I also do up a gumbo. I've cut up 4 turtles already and still have the traps out and was really thinking of grinding this one into burger. I've caught a lot more than 4 but in Ohio we can only keep those over 13 inches.

you have a size restriction? I catch them here no matter what size they get eaten... I hope there is no restriction lol... I have never deep fried it but i may try it.

I had read about people eating turtle and wanted to try it only to find out alabama had outlawed hunting or catching turtles due to the aisians coming here to take them back there.

TexasBred":2enq7x2k said:
Didn't know snapping turtles were any good....most around here talk about eating soft shell turtle.

yes sir they are good and meaty but you better be FLIPPIN careful where you put your hands.

Deepsouth":1l0syzcv said:
3waycross":1l0syzcv said:
skyhightree1":1l0syzcv said:
I like my turtle fried like chicken in seasoned flour

an old Injun recipe?.................

The Indians were good enough hunters they didn't need to eat turtles. Sky just likes to kill things and he feels obligated to eat it.

:lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: I almost wet my pants. :shock:

Deepsouth":1l0syzcv said:
skyhightree1":1l0syzcv said:
KNERSIE":1l0syzcv said:
Not that hungry...

It is extremely good.

Not true! I tried turtle gumbo about a month ago. The turtles ruined the gumbo! :yuck:

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Looks like someone has been watching too much of the kentucky wild man

Bez__":2bhinszf said:
If it does not go moo, baaa, or oink I generally leave it be unless I know I am going to starve.Bez__

I have to respectfully disagree with you about the "baaa". There's a lot of things I'll eat before sheep meat. The longer I chew that stuff the bigger it gets.

Turtle Sauce Piquante

Ingredients
• 2-3 pounds turtle meat
• 1 medium onion, chopped
• 1 bell pepper, chopped
• 1/2 cup green onion tops, chopped
• 1/2 cup parsley, chopped
• 3-5 cloves garlic, chopped • 2 tbs Worcestershire sauce
• 1 can (14 oz) diced stewed tomatoes
• 1 can (10 oz) Rotel diced tomatoes & green chilies
• 1 can (8 oz) tomato sauce
• 2 tbs roux (optional)
• cajun seasoning mix (homemade, Chachere's or Zatarain's)
Parboiling and Browning meat:
• Parboil the turtle meat for 5 or 10 minutes. Pour off water. If the meat is from young turtle, you can omit the parboiling. Pour off the water.
• Season the meat with cajun seasoning mix (homemade, Chachere's or Zatarain's).
• Add a small amount of grease or margarine to a heavy walled cast iron or aluminum pot. Heat the pot. When hot, add the turtle meat and brown over high heat until deep brown and until some of the browning sticks to the bottom of the pot. Stir constantly.
Sauté Vegetables:
• After the meat is browned, remove from the pot.
• Add the onion, bell pepper, and garlic, and sauté until wilted in the brownings.
Smother:
• Add the meat back to the mixture.
• Add the Worcestershire sauce, stewed tomatoes, Rotel, and tomato sauce. If needed, add water to cover the meat.
Optional Roux:
o "Sauce piquante" means to cook in a tomato base. I do not like a strong, distinctive "tomato saucy" taste, so sometimes I like to add a couple of tablespoons of roux to enrich the tomato base flavor. To make your own roux, add 2 tbs flour and 2 tbs oil to a heavy pan. Place on medium heat, and stir constantly until a chocolate brown roux is obtained. This takes awhile. Its hard to make a small batch of roux, so I recommend you use store bought roux.
• Cook with the pot covered under low heat so the mixture simmers (lightly boils). Keep adding water so the meat stays barely covered. You need to simmer long enough so the distinctive "tomato saucy" taste is cooked down to a smooth tomato base flavor, and the meat is tender.
• Taste and add more cajun seasoning (or salt and pepper) to taste.
Add the garnish:
• When almost done, add the chopped green onion tops and parsley.
Serving:
• Serve turtle meat and sauce piquante over cooked white rice.

Latest posts