got to use the rope today

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

Had a 2 week old calf constipated to the point where his pooper was gettin distended when he tried to go, so I roped him up and got him on the first shot. Now that wasn't hard because he was laying own and only 10 feet away. :mrgreen:
Hard part was dragging his feisty azz to the pen where I held his head up and gave him about 2 oz of mineral oil down his mouth, then flipped him and sent 2 oz into his pooper.
What causes the constipation and what else can I do besides watch and wait?

admit it you know that was funny

Seriously I would wait and see if that worked before I got real excited about another treatment. I am used to stopping poop a whole lot more than starting it.

I did help a friend of mine give a calf an enema once with some warm soapy water and believe me that worked. What you have to be careful of is not perferating the calf's colon. and if you do it make sure you use some lube so that you don't tear anything.

One thing I would be worried about is is he getting enuf liquid. My first thought would be dehydration as a cause for the blockage.

!

It was mildly amusing :lol2:
I took a wait and see approach for the last 2 days..but figured it was time to do something. He's not drinking water yet that I've seen, and he eats good and mom has decent milk. There's a bit of hay in the stool, so it may just be he needs to get to the water and figure out what its all about. Maybe ill rope him again and hold his head in the trough til he figures it out. He's a PIA already..been the fences 3 times(that I know of) and keeps trying to suck off another herf that should be calving any day now. She wont let him but I think he's just dumb

TennesseeTuxedo":23lezogy said:
Calf trying to suckle off the teat of an unrelated cow/heifer?

He's not dumb, he's an Obama supported.
Aren't they the same thing?

Boy, aren't we lucky to have Obama, I (we) can blame him for everything. Now I need to be able to figure out how to blame this drought on him.

papavillars":321995mn said:
Boy, aren't we lucky to have Obama, I (we) can blame him for everything. Now I need to be able to figure out how to blame this drought on him.

Perry already did.

are you sure this calf is getting enough groceries from mama....

I had a similar one last year from a good old cow....I got her up a couple of times to make sure she had milk.....calf constanctly trying to nurse yet not growing. Once he got big enough for me to supplement he sgtarted to grow. Cow was old and while she had milk when I checked her I did not check for quantity. She had a big mac attack a little while back.

Sorry pdf, just saw your question.
Calf should be getting enough milk. He seems to be growing pretty well. He's a month old now and pooping normal again

Latest posts