Got to know when to hold them

Help Support CattleToday:

Circle L

Reaction score
I have two cows that are fixing to calf in Feb. Should I put them up. One is second calf second is first calf. I have a small fenced in area and a second alittle bigger. Just want to know should I put them up? What are some signs of calfing maybe two or three weeks ahead of time? Thanks Home of Bill th Bull.

First thanks for the quick response no on the trouble just th eone having her first. Yes I can check on them daily a lots

Circle L":2gmcgve7 said:
I have two cows that are fixing to calf in Feb. Should I put them up. One is second calf second is first calf. I have a small fenced in area and a second alittle bigger. Just want to know should I put them up? What are some signs of calfing maybe two or three weeks ahead of time? Thanks Home of Bill th Bull.

The way we have always calved out first calf heifers is to look them over each day long about late afternoon/early evening when they come in for water and any that are showing a full bag with engorged tits, or display very loose vulvar folds (as you become more experienced you will learn the difference between loose and very loose - don't mean to talk down to you, but it's hard to explain - best way I can describe it is you think her vulva is going to end up around her hocks) or both of the above are kept in overnight where we can check them. They are then turned back out in the morning. A lot of people don't do this, however. I figure it's worth the effort to help ensure a live calf. Of course, there will always be that heifer that doesn't bag up and doesn't dilate til the last minute, so it's by no means foolproof, but it does catch most of them. Hope this helps.

Two or three weeks ahead of calving (which can vary a week or two in either direction) a first time heifers udder should have descended to where it's visible as opposed to being tight up against her body. It may be in the initial stages of filling with milk or it may not be. The most accurate indications of calving is feet sticking out of her rear, but short of that the loosening of the vulva and the udder filling are pretty reliable in most cases. Again, it is not my intent to talk down to you - I just don't know your experience level and figured it would be good to cover all bases. :)

Depends on where they are now. Do you need to put them up to watch them? Might be better to leave them where they are used to being.

Your website shows your church to be in a very pretty location.

I think msscamp and ryder gave excellent answers. If you don't have a reason to expect problems, it may be better to leave them where they are; they will likely be more relaxed. If you can check multiple times a day, just check em often and when you see one go down watch her. If the heifer goes down to calve, and nothing happens in ~30 minutes, you may need to step in. You could give the older cow a little more time, but I doubt she'll need it.

One last thing: When the cow/heifer does go down it's been my experience that it's better to give them room. If you rush up to 10 or 20 feet away, the cow may start to stress by your presence. Having said that, if she's down for a long time having trouble, I don't care if she stresses or not, she needs help.

By the way, do you know what type of bull these were bred to?

Good luck.

Latest posts