Got The Bugger!

Help Support CattleToday:

I luv herfrds

Reaction score
Had a coyote coming in behind our house. He was getting my chickens as they free ranged and then fixed his sight on my daughters Corgi!
Saw him a couple days ago. Dogs were barking like crazy, went out and saw the yote looking at me out from the brush, of course I had left my gun in the house. Went out this morning. dogs were barking again. No sign of this yote.

Well I was watching an old black and white movie when I heard what sounded like a massive dog fight. I went outside just as hubby came flying into the yard in the Ranger. He heard it too. Daughters dog is completely aggatiated and the hair is standing up on her back. I look up on the hill behind the house and there he was high lighted against the sky line. I went in and grabbed my .22-250, which I now keep loaded but locked up.
Got my sights on that bugger and hit him! Not my best shot but he went down. He was able to get up and I shot again but missed. Saw him running off but it was a hard hit. Went out but it was then too dark to see anything. Going to go out in the morning and see if I can find a blood trail.

Pretty brazen bugger. I wonder if this was the same one daughter kept seeing down at the barn when she was down there. She would hit the side of the barn and it would run off.

They do get pretty brazen, and that's certainly the time to get rid of them! We had one a few months back come and get one of our free ranging chickens in the daytime. My dad saw him coming and nailed him with the .308 (BIG hole).. unfortunately it was a little too late for the chicken, she had a bad bite behind a leg, so she went in our stew pot. For the first time, we can say "We ate the coyote's chicken", and not "He ate OUR chicken". We have some resident nearly pet ravens and they cleaned him up, along with a BIG golden eagle

Went out and checked where I thought he had been but with it being pretty dark last night I cannot be 100% sure I was in the right spot. So I went into the back pasture where that yote was heading. Was going along a deep coulee and down in the bottom is a coyote! It looks up at me and trots off as I am getting my rifle out. Well I watch this one go into a draw. It was not acting hurt so pretty sure this is not the one I got last night.
Never saw it come out of that draw so I'm laying odds that is where their den is. I could see north, south and west of that draw and I was east.

One down and one to go.

I would try baiting them with some rotten meat, be sure to have plenty of guns and ammo and let the war begin!