Got tagged....!

Help Support CattleToday:

Susie David

Reaction score
Sure looks like I got tagged at the sale barn yesterday.
Bought a real nice heifer that handles well took to the feed right away and made herslef at home in the isolation pen with the other new arrivals. This morning she had a bloody discharge.
Do believe that we bought a aborted cow that is flushing. Would explain the discharge and lack of udder. Now the big question, keep the cull and see if she comes in in the fall and give her another try....or, put her in the production line-up as she is pretty well fleshed and should finish quickly.
I'm leaning towards finishing her...could go either way...when and if she comes in I could just breed a fat cow.
Just thinking out loud...I type hard.
DMc

I would be awfully careful about keeping something that had aborted around. Especially if it came from the stockyards, and you have no other info on her. There are too many reasons for a cow to have aborted, and some of them are contagious. I say finish her out, don't try breeding her back.

Is it a young heifer, like first calf? It's hard to tell when you can't see, but they will discharge blood if they were not bred.
Not to sound crude, but like when any female has her period.

Unless you have other reasons to believe she has aborted, I'd lean to the cycling reason for the bloody discharge. If she were in heat a couple of days ago it is normal for her to have some bloody discharge as ENNOT has suggested.

Thanks folks....appears that y'all were right. The amount of the discharge threw me off, heavy and appeared to be stringy.
Yesterday she was taken under...literally...the care of our big red dyke heifer(three year old never bred, she's in the October production line-up). Full blown standing heat by afternoon.
Think that we'll watch her for a month or so and see how she develops, could be a winter bred or November production...either way she'll be ready.
DMc

Latest posts