Got some of those good panels.

Help Support CattleToday:

Been eyeing them for a few years. Held up thinking I'd build some when I got time. Got 20 of them at a farm auction for 310.00
Each. My figure is about 50.00 bucks over materials. Can't build em for that.

View attachment 10861
Double your money... $620., just bring the 20 to my ranch. Yeah, you got a grreat deal there. I need to start looking for/at farm auctions.

Double your money... $620., just bring the 20 to my ranch. Yeah, you got a grreat deal there. I need to start looking for/at farm auctions.
1 more zero...he paid $6,200....20 at $310 each. The each was wrote lower confused me for a second. I thought he beat the auction people up beforehand or something. 😉🤡

I've often wondered how many of those are built with radioactive pipe and rods.
Scrap yards here won't accept any pipe or pieces of pipe without first checking it for radioactivity. If they get any reading off of it they reject the whole load.

Scrap yards here won't accept any pipe or pieces of pipe without first checking it for radioactivity. If they get any reading off of it they reject the whole load.
Most NORMs is in pipe is at such a low level as to not be a real concern. I had some pipe rejected at a scrap yard once and even though they treat it like a big deal, the guy from the Atomic Energy Commision told me when I asked about it that if I planned on having kids there was a small chance that if I was in very close proximity of it for several years straight it could affect my ability to reproduce

A LOT. Most equipment that comes from O&G has NORM and a lot will get rejected. That's why companies love selling or even giving it away so they don't have to dispose of it.

You can slide by if you cut it up in to smaller pieces usually but you start hauling separators and stuff in and they will come to check for sure.

My neighbor has them, and absolutely loves them too.

The radioactive pipe deal is real... just wait about 50 years, and the ambulance chasing lawsuit ads on TV will start showing up over health issues. Guys that built and sold them knowing they were radioactive rejects will be long gone (likely from the same health related issues), with no one to sue. There's a reason why they've been rejected, and the "free pipe" thing as a means of getting rid of it instead of having to treat it like hazmat will eventually catch up to us....

GoBob Pipe has 'em with a removable foot, which allows you to turn the feet flat to the panel for storage/hauling, etc. Would be easy to replace the feet when Rydero and Silver go mashing them with their dozer :) . Made from all new steel. No idea on his price. https://www.gobobpipe.com/docs-freestanding-corral-panels.html Not as big of pipe on the mainframe as the used oilfield pipe ones (1.5" square frame, 1.25" tubing for horizontals on GoBob's), but says they weigh 550#... so that's right at about what the oilfield pipe ones weigh. Keep in mind that a lot of the oilfield pipe is rusty inside from chemicals and worn thin in spots too...

Aside from the idea that "these things might kill you"......................... they're really great to have around! Just be sure to wear your PPE when working the cattle! :cool:

Attachments

• 1639062908805.png
    1639062908805.png
    348.2 KB · Views: 14
I made a great living in the early to mid 90s treating N.O.R.M. (no, not the postman at the Cheers bar). Lots came from pipe yards, most from production sites with heater treaters and separators and tank batterys.
Clean it or encapsulate it, slurry and grind it, pump it down the backside of an abandoned well which puts it back where it came from. Mostly radium 226/228 and radon.
Worked with it in Miss, Tx, Ok, La until the states changed their regs and decided it was ok to mix it with soil to 'dilute' to below background levels. That was when NORM landfarming began.

I'm pretty sure all the ice cream I eat will kill me long before the radioactivity I pick up climbing over a panel once a day in the winter to check the water trough and working cattle in a pen made of them 3 or 4 times a year. They're definitely handy for a lot of things but I guess I'll cancel my plans to use them to replace the furniture in my house with them given this new information. I'll also stop licking them, they taste bad anyway.

Point being they might be slightly radioactive but there's no meaningful length of exposure to a corral panel unless you're building them.

I've decided if I ever start building them to sell they'll be labeled
" radioactive cattle panels"
Y'all be looking...
If you don't get the pipe checked when you buy it you should probably be putting those labels on the fences you build.

I'm pretty sure all the ice cream I eat will kill me long before the radioactivity I pick up climbing over a panel once a day in the winter to check the water trough and working cattle in a pen made of them 3 or 4 times a year. They're definitely handy for a lot of things but I guess I'll cancel my plans to use them to replace the furniture in my house with them given this new information. I'll also stop licking them, they taste bad anyway.

Point being they might be slightly radioactive but there's no meaningful length of exposure to a corral panel unless you're building them.
I don't think there's any real exposure risk for you, my objection to them is that I don't want to have or my children to have something that's considered hazardous waste and the expense of "properly disposing of it"

If you don't get the pipe checked when you buy it you should probably be putting those labels on the fences you build.
I've got a 16' dump trailer that lives by the shop. It's entire role in life is a scrap iron bin. It goes at least once a month. Sometimes much more. I've never had a load turned down.
Ask the guy that owns the scrap iron...you ever seen a bad load..he just laughed.... kinda like purssic acid in Johnson grass. It might happen, but it sure doesn't live up to the hype.

Last edited:
I thought removable feet would be great until I got some of them. I prefer fixed foot position.
Uplandnut, what were the issues that you ran into? Feet fall off when you pick them up? Don't stay in place when the panel is sitting on them? Were they GoBob's? Or fastened in the same way as his? I'd expect that the feed would be the first thing to go on them from rust/damage. Removable would also equate to "easily replaceable", I would think...

Uplandnut, what were the issues that you ran into? Feet fall off when you pick them up? Don't stay in place when the panel is sitting on them? Were they GoBob's? Or fastened in the same way as his? I'd expect that the feed would be the first thing to go on them from rust/damage. Removable would also equate to "easily replaceable", I would think...
I haven't used removable feet...so just talking
I can see myself welding them on lol . For the reasons you listed. As far as replacing them I think torching and welding a new piece of pipe on would be less hassle than keeping replacement feet

I haven't used removable feet...so just talking
I can see myself welding them on lol . For the reasons you listed. As far as replacing them I think torching and welding a new piece of pipe on would be less hassle than keeping replacement feet
Generally if you do break them off its right where the pinched pipe is welded to the round leg. I've never seen one that was broken that had proper penetration so there usually isn't any real damage. Touch it up with a grinder and weld it back on, even I can do it.

The ones my wife bought were slid into the upright pipe and just had a chain holding them from falling out. When you go to set them down the feet would keep turning on me, kind of a pain when you are doing it yourself. Also the ones we have have the legs on the end of the panel, so everytime you make a corner they have to be turned just right so they don't overlap. Sounds like I'm b%^&ching I know, but when you have to get on and off the tractor a couple times every time you set a panel it sucks and put a sour taste in my mouth.
I'm sure there may be better thought out and built ones than what we ended up getting, but I like my fixed position legs better. imo

The ones my wife bought were slid into the upright pipe and just had a chain holding them from falling out. When you go to set them down the feet would keep turning on me, kind of a pain when you are doing it yourself. Also the ones we have have the legs on the end of the panel, so everytime you make a corner they have to be turned just right so they don't overlap. Sounds like I'm b%^&ching I know, but when you have to get on and off the tractor a couple times every time you set a panel it sucks and put a sour taste in my mouth.
I'm sure there may be better thought out and built ones than what we ended up getting, but I like my fixed position legs better. imo
Have some with legs on the end and it's a real issue anywhere you want to curve or at the corners. Another issue with them is you need a longer trailer to haul them. I won't buy those ones again.

I've dealt with NORM quite a bit and it's pretty hard to get it in tubing that would be used or sold for structural pipe. My experience from both the production side of O&G and the welding side is vessels are the worse. Tubing or pipe generally has to come from facilities that moved A LOT of production water like swds or water flood fields... stuff like that to get any kind of norm to worry about. Generally that pipe is not in good enough shape to be sold for any thing.

Basically, it's not some thing I would worry about. I'd worry about the quality of tubing after being exposed to h2s, co2, carbonic acid, etc down hole. It won't kill you but it's makes for some crappy pipe in a couple years.

Latest posts