Got some big 'uns this year

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
We've had the ranch 13 years and I've never seen so many big softshell turtles. Record amounts of rain the past couple years but right now it's bone dry so not sure why they're coming up from the lake, ponds and creeks. This one's almost as big as a 5 gallon feed bucket. And NO, I did not pick it up.

TCRanch said:
We've had the ranch 13 years and I've never seen so many big softshell turtles. Record amounts of rain the past couple years but right now it's bone dry so not sure why they're coming up from the lake, ponds and creeks. This one's almost as big as a 5 gallon feed bucket. And NO, I did not pick it up.

Do ya eat 'em?

TCRanch said:

Probable moving to lay eggs you would be surprised how far from the water they will go to lay eggs.

hurleyjd said:
TCRanch said:

Probable moving to lay eggs you would be surprised how far from the water they will go to lay eggs.

Did not know that. But I do know the females are larger than the males and the ones I've seen are whoppers so I bet you're right.

TennesseeTuxedo said:
TCRanch said:

Do ya eat 'em?

Eweee! There's about 10 things I'll eat, most of which are beige.

They are laying eggs here also, I have seen two this week extremely far from water. And they are good eating (had a neighbor when I was growing up that would catch and clean them). As a boy, we used to search for their eggs in the creek. They are like a ping pong ball.

Latest posts