got me a tedder, how do I use it

Help Support CattleToday:

we all have differant opions on making hay an other things.but i have yet to see what good a tedder is around here,because its rarely needed.but yes some people cut hay when they are giving rain 100% an get it wet everytime.an they know better to cut when its going to rain.

More depends on your local microclimate than anything. I fluff dam near all the first cutting, fighting off showers in our area. Last year I never hooked the tedder up for the second cut. And I've cut hay while it was pouring down rain, doesn't bother me a bit. Doesn't hurt it to get wet unless it's ready to be baled the way I see it.

cfpinz":2xfwkioe said:
More depends on your local microclimate than anything. I fluff dam near all the first cutting, fighting off showers in our area. Last year I never hooked the tedder up for the second cut. And I've cut hay while it was pouring down rain, doesn't bother me a bit. Doesn't hurt it to get wet unless it's ready to be baled the way I see it.
ive seen hay cut like that stay wet for 2wks an nothing was left to bale when it finally dryed.

How do you know what the weather is going to be?

The eather people say ten days dry so you cut to get then rain,

or they say rain for so many days and you do not cut and it is lovely and sunny and dry...!

cfpinz":p58y4q00 said:
I'm with you Pinz if hay gets wet the day or nite I cut it it doesn't bother me at all but I sure hate getting hay wet that is ready to bale

got 125 acres wet monday had 150 down and had started baling got 20-25 of it baled andhad 50 that got wet that I was going to bale and the other 80 I had just layed down that morning so I wasn't too worried about it

had a pop up thunderstorm come thru with NO chance of rain and it only cover a narrow stri and I wa under the heavy part got 3/4 of an inch in less than 40 minutes

1wlimo":1pt24shx said:
How do you know what the weather is going to be?

The eather people say ten days dry so you cut to get then rain,

or they say rain for so many days and you do not cut and it is lovely and sunny and dry...!
Heck Havent you heard Everybody listens to ol BB or else he will read them the right act and set them straight
Bankers cower and open the safe and tell him he can have all the money he wants
Salebarn owners cowtow to him and pay him extra for his calves because he didn't think they brought enough and was gonna clean house
Teachers just gave him grades because of who he was and the principal probably even gave him a key to the school

And even ol Mother Nature has to call him and ask him exactly what time he wants rain and on what days

i just say the way i do things an have for all my life an it just eats certain peoples guts out here at CT.we all have our own ways of doing things but some people like to fight with a stump here.i dont jump on people here at all,i try to help people here.but heres 1 for just AC i know a guy that bales in a week what he does all summer.last i heard he had baled 1000 round bales in a week an was hauling it in.

bigbull338":34zfk743 said:
i just say the way i do things an have for all my life an it just eats certain peoples guts out here at CT.we all have our own ways of doing things but some people like to fight with a stump here.i dont jump on people here at all,i try to help people here.but heres 1 for just AC i know a guy that bales in a week what he does all summer.last i heard he had baled 1000 round bales in a week an was hauling it in.

Depends on where you are and the crop again. My baler here now can in good hay raked once or green feed not raked will bale up to 40 5*6 bales an hour in a field 1/2 mile long :nod: . Last year when I had double raked hay I was lucky to get 20 bales an hour :( , and in baley straw (JD 9501 combine) or poor hay, small fields, etc you are lucky to get out of single figures an hour :cry2: .

If the owner here had listen to me and I had been able to use a swath turner, or tedder it would have paid for it's self before the end of the first cut :shock:

bigbull338":3dgos27r said:

Has nothing to do with me wanting to argue with you BB
it comes down to you making statements about this or that and the way you state it
is that it is The ONLY ONLY WAY TO DO IT
and most of the time it is well I KNOW A GUY or THE GUY that does ours

WHEN in reality your sitting in your recliner and other people are doing the work and YOU have NO FirstHAND experience on how it is really done except maybe in your little ISOLATED part of the World
Just becuase someone does something in PODunk Texas doesn't mean it is that way all over the country or he77 for that matter in a different part of Texas

Baling a 1000 bales a week isn't that hard if you have the hayground to do it but I guarantee he doesn't average that unless he has alot of equipment and alot of acreage
as for 1 baler baling a 1000 not too big of a deal if your in decent hay it is pretty easy to bale 50 bales pr hr without killing your self so in 8 hrs that is 400 bales so in 5 days that would be 2000 bales and in 7 days that would be 2800
in my part of the world you seldom get a solid week where you can bale hay unless it is late summer and them most of what you would be baling would be burnt up stems

So you need to rethink HOW you say things and some of the statements you make and maybe I wouldn't call you out on some of the blatant idiotic statements you make
and yes their is quite a few that feel that way I am just the only one that calls you on it
and by the way how is that FEL loader working on the rear of that Kubota 50hp tractor ;-)

well you do not know how much knowlage i have nor will you ever know because ive forgotten a quiet a bit over the years.you convince yourself i know nothing because if i didnt you wouldnt be jumping on everything i say trying to prove it/me wrong.i pitty you because you think your the only 1 that works an thats ok.when you run beef cattle you dont have to kill yourself working.i used to work long hours so i know what work is.

ive never used a tedder so i really cant answer your q 100%.but id say no leave it down on your turns.

MasseyFerg":2i44bnjc said:
back to the topic,am I supposed to raise the tedder wheels as I go around corners or not?

Thanks

You do not need to raise the wheels when going around corners. Some are trailed. Saying that I would normally raise it when I was turning going back and forth over the field.

With a machine like the one whitewing has in the pic be very carefull when turning at speed, or on a slope as they can turn the tractor over. They also turn one way better than the other.

Latest posts