Got Docked at the Barn

Help Support CattleToday:

ram":3faaryno said:
A grand a piece average is real good in this market. IMO

Markets coming back pretty good up here... I sold the steer calves that I didn't keep for bulls last week for $210.50 @ cwt... They averaged 607 lbs. which came out to be $1278 each..

Kept the top half of the heifers to use either as our own replacements or sell as registered heifer seedstock... They averaged 615 lbs... The bottom end of the heifers still averaged 590- brought $195.00 for $1150 each..

After looking at the market a few weeks ago- I was pleasantly pleased... :D

Calves looked pretty good, go to a sale barn were you are known. Go to a small sale barn you get a small price not a lot of big buyers there. Go to a bigger place you'll get a bigger price, more buyers

Fast Forward 2 1/2 months. Yesterday I loaded a July 14 born calf ( Bull), saw no use keeping him any longer. So I took him to the other Sale Barn in My area. the intake guy and myself estimate him to weigh around 425. as of today he is 181 days old, less 65 birth weight, gives him a estimated ADG of 1.99. not bad for a July Calf.

So lets see what will happen at the Barn.

Do we have any bets on the amount he will bring.
he is black, 1/4 ear, bull, shiny coat, nice quarters, I do not think he was Googled eyed (as told be the other barn).

I have a calf also born in July, I think hes in the 500's now, but won't sell him for another 2-3 months.. I think it's a bad time to sell unless you really have to

Supa Dexta":vhniulcq said:

I don't think the cull cow had any bearing on your last sale though.

Last Weeks average for med-large (2) 420 averaged 210.78. so we will see.

Nesi

down here summer calves are usually the worst, gets real hot and grass quality goes way down, unless you have good rain which usually we don't

thommoos":my3hytrf said:
Supa Dexta":my3hytrf said:

Nesi

down here summer calves are usually the worst, gets real hot and grass quality goes way down, unless you have good rain which usually we don't

Where is "down here"?

TennesseeTuxedo":1qz6308o said:
thommoos":1qz6308o said:
Supa Dexta":1qz6308o said:

Nesi

Where is "down here"?

1/2 hour south of Montgomery, Al

Over the years I have been very frustrated at how poorly an individual will sell at a sale barn; even a moderate fleshing, thick made black steer with two rounds of shots will get discounted significantly. And, "off-color" calves like reds, smokes, etc. will really get pounded if there are only one, two or three in a group. A few years ago I sold a really nice, single red steer, with 2 rounds of shots, and I believe he sold at a $20/cwt discount to larger lots of black calves that day....$120 discount!

At times I have wondered if I would be better off being the buyer of these heavily discounted calves. Take them home and put groups together of similar size and color and then resell them a month later in groups of 15 or more. This may be a good side gig when I retire. :D

UG":1ez86qye said:
Over the years I have been very frustrated at how poorly an individual will sell at a sale barn; even a moderate fleshing, thick made black steer with two rounds of shots will get discounted significantly. And, "off-color" calves like reds, smokes, etc. will really get pounded if there are only one, two or three in a group. A few years ago I sold a really nice, single red steer, with 2 rounds of shots, and I believe he sold at a $20/cwt discount to larger lots of black calves that day....$120 discount!

At times I have wondered if I would be better off being the buyer of these heavily discounted calves. Take them home and put groups together of similar size and color and then resell them a month later in groups of 15 or more. This may be a good side gig when I retire. :D

I have wonder the same! But the barn I went to this week, will some times group single with other to increase price. therefore they make more money.

Update calf weighed 335, brought cwt. 216.00 181 days of age, 1.5 weight gain. this a cow that breeds every 14 months. Time for her :bang: to take a ride.

Supa Dexta":sp9wchuh said:
Yeah sorry to hear that, but that's really terrible. Anything under 2lb a day here is considered a dud.

the calfs I sold a few months ago weighed right but sold low. I was going to sell her soon any way. so i guess next time it dries good enough to get my trailer out she is out.

I compared prices last night of all the sale barns in Alabama . The sale at Letohatchee had some of the best averages in the state. Is that the sale barn you use ? I have been disappointed with the Ft Payne sale recently. They use to be one of the strongest in the state. Seems they don't have the buyers they use to.

coachg":5kxx82mj said:
I compared prices last night of all the sale barns in Alabama . The sale at Letohatchee had some of the best averages in the state. Is that the sale barn you use ? I have been disappointed with the Ft Payne sale recently. They use to be one of the strongest in the state. Seems they don't have the buyers they use to.
I sell at Cullman. We once had 12 order buyers. Now we have 4 buying calves. There are a couple of guys who buy slaughter bulls and cows for grinding.
Times have changed.

coachg":3td7vd4s said:

I was going to Montgomery, but got beat up to bad, this last one I took to Leto, did well. i will be taking that cow off this weekend, she is pregnant, but bad performance cost me money, add to the fact I posted about her earlier she breeds not in 90 days more like 150 days, so she has lost me not only weight$$ but time$$ also.

The report I looked at, the Montgomery sale was one of the lowest. And had low #'s too. That surprised me.