Got Docked at the Barn

Help Support CattleToday:

thommoos

Reaction score
I guess, I can actually say my tight sheathed, moderate fleshed 2 way cross, sold on the lowest scale large 3. Spoke to the Manager, my area the buyers does not like Limo or Gelv. Called them googly eyed. :shock: and was told general impression is that are sickly? do not feed out well on grass? :shock: :shock:

Said the Gelvy have a funny shaped head? Like a polled hereford. I never said what cross they were when i dropped them off or in they were a cross. In my honest opinion they look like a Brangus but longer.

Buyers here like them just fine... I have both Gelbvieh and Limo, I quite like them too, nothin' wrong with their heads. I did have one steer that had 'bug eyes'.. he grew the best though.

The buyers here didn't like Limo too much. But we didn't know what your calves look like.

Sounds like he is grasping for excuses. My Gelb calves and Gelb crosses that I have taken to sales have all topped the sale here in TN. I don't know why there would be that much difference between here and where you are at.

HOSS":2av0w13b said:
Sounds like he is grasping for excuses. My Gelb calves and Gelb crosses that I have taken to sales have all topped the sale here in TN. I don't know why there would be that much difference between here and where you are at.
Perhaps thommoos should post the pictures of his calves?

Muddy":3bvapv84 said:
HOSS":3bvapv84 said:
Perhaps thommoos should post the pictures of his calves?

Southern_pride.jpg

Southern_Star.jpg

I guess there google eyed
Just a couple not best pictures but okay.

I am located near Montgomery, Al

I always thought the goofiest looking ones or the ones with the colors that don't sell at your sale barn were the ones that ended up in your freezer or the freezer of your friends.

Why sell an oddball for cut-rate prices when you can eat him or sell him to your friends in little chunks for market or above market prices?

To do anything else never made any sense to me at all...

WalnutCrest":28pflqda said:
I always thought the goofiest looking ones or the ones with the colors that don't sell at your sale barn were the ones that ended up in your freezer or the freezer of your friends.

Why sell an oddball for cut-rate prices when you can eat him or sell him to your friends in little chunks for market or above market prices?

To do anything else never made any sense to me at all...

I agree! We just put a Jersey in ours. 8)

those was 2 nice looking calves.whoever bought them got a nice deal.plus they will make some more money.

Black hides docked at salebarn?
Surely you jest!!
Them black hides 'sposed to make up for any genetic failing or flaw--I done heard it right here dozens of times.

After thinking about more, I took a cull cow in too. She never regained weight from calving, so I wonder did that have an influence, ie someone said something. I don't think I'll go back there again, I driver further south to the bigger barn when I finish weaning. Some of you have seen pictures of my balancers. I just don't believe my animals were below average (way below) average sale prices. The bull calf postures in going in the freezer in March he will be 13 months old, two heifers are sold private treaty for 1600 a piece.

I guess I was just figuring on a easy grand apiece not 775 average

A grand a piece average is real good in this market. IMO

I took a bunch of Angus steer calves to the sale barn this past week and took a hit on one 610lb steer. I was able to talk with the buyer who bought the rest of my 600+lb calves and asked why he cut the steer from the group. He said it was because he had bug eyes and in the past had eye problems with calves like that...He ended up selling for $1 lb....I'm still shaking my head. :shock: