Got docked at salebarn today

Help Support CattleToday:

ALACOWMAN":15c8p1ld said:
wouldnt it be more like possible chances of medical problems on the feedlot with the ears?

I think that is what Beef Man was saying.

Plain and simple it is supply and demand in action at a public auction.

Much greater demand for a calf with no defects compared to demand for defective calf with frozen ears, blue eye, bobtail, etc. If you watch closely, some defects have even less demand than others.

No different than a car with a nice shiney paint job versus one that is faded and scratched. Possibly the faded, scratched is actually a better car, but the shiney will probably bring more at auction. Most auctions are just a beauty contest with votes being cast in $$$$. It's all in what the buyer perceives he or his customer wants.

:deadhorse:

Texas PaPaw":mdxmxhlk said:
Plain and simple it is supply and demand in action at a public auction.

Much greater demand for a calf with no defects compared to demand for defective calf with frozen ears, blue eye, bobtail, etc. If you watch closely, some defects have even less demand than others.

No different than a car with a nice shiney paint job versus one that is faded and scratched. Possibly the faded, scratched is actually a better car, but the shiney will probably bring more at auction. Most auctions are just a beauty contest with votes being cast in $$$$. It's all in what the buyer perceives he or his customer wants.

:deadhorse:

:bs: :bs: :bs: it still doesn't change the fact that they do it because they can get away with. We've all seen it and it ain't about supply and demand. It's about guile and deceit. A few roan hairs on one calf out of a pen full of obvious shorthorn calves.......... :bs:

I agree they do it because they can, but I don't think it is deceitful. I'm sure your friend knew before he hauled them in that that one was going to get docKed.

heath":3p6b5q05 said:
I agree they do it because they can, but I don't think it is deceitful. I'm sure your friend knew before he hauled them in that that one was going to get docKed.

Heath I've seen buyers buy singles, let them leave the ring, then ask for them to bring the calf back in. Tries to find somethign wrong with (and the auctioneer usually will work with him) then buy it for half price or just get out of the purchase completely. That particular barn has very few cattle now I'm sure.

Latest posts