Got docked at salebarn today

Help Support CattleToday:

Aaron":1m5r2ku0 said:
I wouldn't care about teats on a feeder animal. Generally, if they lost their ears, but still have a tail, the feet are ok - but the buyers don't want you to know that. Your supposed to think that anything other than the norm is inferior.
Aaron are you saying that no 600# heifers have ever gone back to the ranch from a salebarn for use as breeding heifers?

ibetyamissedme":4gd3ferk said:
Aaron":4gd3ferk said:
I wouldn't care about teats on a feeder animal. Generally, if they lost their ears, but still have a tail, the feet are ok - but the buyers don't want you to know that. Your supposed to think that anything other than the norm is inferior.
Aaron are you saying that no 600# heifers have ever gone back to the ranch from a salebarn for use as breeding heifers?

I think he said he wouldn't care about teats on a "feeder" animal. He didn't specifically address your question.

You can pretend there is an actual reason and that they didn't just dock you because they can, but that's exactly why they did it. I worked at a sale barn through college, and we would have semi-loads of cattle come through, where the buyers would sort off a couple head for all sorts of reasons: frozen ears, little white spot, seemed mean, anything they could find to sort a couple out. These would then be run back through the ring after the others sold, the same buyer would buy all cattle, and they would go to the same place. The buyer's want everyone in the sale barn to think they know what they are doing, and it makes it look like they are doing their best to get the lowest price for the feeders. Most large feeders see the buy sheet, but don't bother too much to go out and see what/why there were three head that were cheaper, just that those three head have the potential to make them more money.

Taurus":1j3i4agf said:
TexasBred":1j3i4agf said:
Taurus":1j3i4agf said:
Thank you for your explanation! Now it do makes more sense. If I got another earless calf someday, I will follow your advice and sell them as yearlings. Funny thing is that these heifers were in great shape, 600+lbs. No other frozen bite damages on teats or hooves or tail on them that I can see.

Aaron told you what you wanted to hear. Bez told you the truth. ;-)
That's cute. ;-)
Dam factual as well but you do not have to accept it. Won't add a penny to the price of the calf.

TennesseeTuxedo
I don't care about teats on a feeder animal either so I won't discount for it, however the gentlemen sitting next to me is buying for reproduction animals and he does care about the teats, and frost bite teats are worthless, so now the heifer has only one bidder and thats me, so guess what the heifer just brought less. This ain't rocket science. Taurus could not understand for the life of himself why the heifers would be discounted. I answered his question.

The discounts paid have merit, they are never discounted just because they can be. Everytime I hear that line of bull pisses me off. People think anytime their animal brought less that the buyer screwed them. Discounts are paid for a reason plain and simple. A physical flaw may not matter to one buyer for their intended use, but it does negatively effect another buyers intended use. There is the discount.

I know a order buyer and his favorite saying is because we can and because they can they do. If there pushed to fill an order they may not be as bad at it but there not there to make you money there trying to get cattle bought at the best prices and as cheap as they can for there employer. there are several good points in this thread you can take them to another barn but most around here have the same buyers so that wont help. it comes down to marketing and if you have one with short ears or a spot in the eye and don't want to take a hit have another option.

ibetyamissedme":3og6dplr said:
TennesseeTuxedo
I don't care about teats on a feeder animal either so I won't discount for it, however the gentlemen sitting next to me is buying for reproduction animals and he does care about the teats, and frost bite teats are worthless, so now the heifer has only one bidder and thats me, so guess what the heifer just brought less. This ain't rocket science. Taurus could not understand for the life of himself why the heifers would be discounted. I answered his question.

The discounts paid have merit, they are never discounted just because they can be. Everytime I hear that line of bull be nice me off. People think anytime their animal brought less that the buyer screwed them. Discounts are paid for a reason plain and simple. A physical flaw may not matter to one buyer for their intended use, but it does negatively effect another buyers intended use. There is the discount.
Good answer. That line about animals being discounted because they can be really gets me too. The folks believing that must sell at auctions with only one buyer. I've never sold any that way but I guess it could be true under that circumstance.

ga.prime":2nv98838 said:
ibetyamissedme":2nv98838 said:
TennesseeTuxedo

The discounts paid have merit, they are never discounted just because they can be. Everytime I hear that line of bull be nice me off. People think anytime their animal brought less that the buyer screwed them. Discounts are paid for a reason plain and simple. A physical flaw may not matter to one buyer for their intended use, but it does negatively effect another buyers intended use. There is the discount.
Good answer. That line about animals being discounted because they can be really gets me too. The folks believing that must sell at auctions with only one buyer. I've never sold any that way but I guess it could be true under that circumstance.

I actually agree with most of the things stated in this thread - however not many of you have ever sold cattle within the last ten years and got less than 10 cents a pound for them.

Many people in Canada have - myself included - lowest I ever got was 2.5 cents a pound for a pretty nice registered BA bull that ended up going to slaughter - so I no longer give a schitte what people think - the price is the price - you get what you can and not a penny more - what you think they are worth is f**k all - what the buyer thinks they are worth is the important number.

And his number will most likely be lower than yours.

Send them to market you simply take what you get - this is one game where the comment "suck it up buttercup" applies - because the reasons for not getting what you had hoped for are literally endless and do not matter.

You produce your goods by working and buying at retail price - you sell them at wholesale.

When the auctioneer says "Sold!" - you now have a price.

You collect your cheque and go home and do it all over again.

When you run 100 - 400 head into the yard even a penny is big bucks. If you did it on the right day you were in luck - if you did it on the wrong day - well, suck it up buttercup!

You want as much as possible and the buyer spends as little as possible. You have no control - the buyer does - he opens the wallet or closes it as he see fit.

So - why did they cut you a couple cents a pound at the sale barn?

Because they can!

Cheers

Bez

snake67":pusn15z0 said:
So - why did they cut you a couple cents a pound at the sale barn?
Because they can!
It might look that way but no, the price was determined by competitive bidding. The bid winner thought he could comfortably profit at that price and his competitive bidders thought that there was a chance they couldn't and dropped out of the bidding. That's the way auctions work.

TexasBred":1ernnd0j said:
Taurus":1ernnd0j said:
Thank you for your explanation! Now it do makes more sense. If I got another earless calf someday, I will follow your advice and sell them as yearlings. Funny thing is that these heifers were in great shape, 600+lbs. No other frozen bite damages on teats or hooves or tail on them that I can see.

Aaron told you what you wanted to hear. Bez told you the truth. ;-)

And he listened to neither!. Same old story. Ask for an explanation and then argue if it's not waht you wanted to hear.........and i don't just mean Taurus.

Happens here all the time!

Seen it happen a lot here. My buddy raises shorthorns. He has eliminated 99% of the chrome but still has one cow that throws a little roan on her calves tails. They cut that calf off every year. Same buyer pays 10 cents less for it and then ships it right with the original group. Don't tell me they don't do it just because they can. That's :bs:

Yes! A lot of order buyers like to show their power and some actually sort the one out that is a little odd just because. But as to the arguement's about short ears. it is nearly impossible to see foot damage on a calf and sometimes it doe'snt even show untill later in life,so it is somewhat a guessing game if and when it will effect the animal. We live in N.E. mont and some years have a lot of frosted ears, tails and this can also cause a foot problem. We trail our cattle a lot and after several miles most often the cows in the drag are mostly short ears and if you pay paticular attention they can and usually do have one or more feet needing attention. One other thing when spring comes in a large feedlot the cattle stand in manure and slop for days and days so any type of foot problem shows up as a serious thing. So how do you know?? Not trying to excuse the order buyers because they can take care of themselves but just telling it like it is.

Beef Man":1ic9bhm6 said:
Yes! A lot of order buyers like to show their power and some actually sort the one out that is a little odd just because. But as to the arguement's about short ears. it is nearly impossible to see foot damage on a calf and sometimes it doe'snt even show untill later in life,so it is somewhat a guessing game if and when it will effect the animal. We live in N.E. mont and some years have a lot of frosted ears, tails and this can also cause a foot problem. We trail our cattle a lot and after several miles most often the cows in the drag are mostly short ears and if you pay paticular attention they can and usually do have one or more feet needing attention. One other thing when spring comes in a large feedlot the cattle stand in manure and slop for days and days so any type of foot problem shows up as a serious thing. So how do you know?? Not trying to excuse the order buyers because they can take care of themselves but just telling it like it is.

Good post and it makes sense! :tiphat:

slick4591":37ii623p said:
So, just how does the docking thing work? Start with a lower opening bid or take it off the final bid?

I would still like an explanation, please. I haven't been in a barn since I was a kid.

How many order buyers do most of you have at the sale?
We still have 3, sometimes 4. There was a time when there were 10+. With 3 buyers looking to fill and order you have some competition. Still not as much as 10 years ago.

slick4591":1hswte8b said:
slick4591":1hswte8b said:
So, just how does the docking thing work? Start with a lower opening bid or take it off the final bid?

I would still like an explanation, please. I haven't been in a barn since I was a kid.
First docking just means they bring less for some reason. It can be red, spotted, white, one eye, short ears, whatever. Yes the price starts lower and finishes lower.

"Because they can," never has a statement been more accurate. Example of this is watching eared calves sale in Dec versus Feb. Both groups of animals are going on grass, not feed. Both groups will go on feed at roughly the same time. Only thing different is the buyer does not have a large pool of animals to choose from. If it was about gentics these calves would bring no more in the late winter, but I have seen as much as a 25 cents a pound difference. Thus they do it because they can or cant.

DOC HARRIS":38lqszma said:
Taurus":38lqszma said:
BC":38lqszma said:
Whether we like it or not, cattle are sold on physical appearance. Fat, bloomy calves don't bring as much as thinner calves. Smaller framed calves out of 1000 lb easy fleshing cows get called short, spotted calves get docked because they stick out like a sore thumb in a pen of solid colored calves. May not be fair, but that is the way it is.

Next time you get some calves with defects or blemishes, you might want to feed them out and sell them as freezer beef. I know one buyer that buys the spots and paints for himself. He sends them to the feedlot and sells them on the rail. He makes a profit doing this because the calves cost less upfront.
So what's the explanation on the dock on the calves with no ears?

Taurus-
BC just told you. Because they can! For whatever reasons or collection of reasons or no reason at all. You are a captive audience and there is not much that you can do about it except be nice - unless there is another sale barn within a reasonable distance from you.

Frozen ears make a calf "look" weird. "O-o-o-h, look at that calf's ears!" So - he is docked, and they blame it all on
George Bush! It's a crock!

DOC HARRIS
DOC, I enjoyed the way you composed that. Very nicely done.