Got a question?

Help Support CattleToday:

rgv4

Reaction score
What do all of you ranchers in states like Oklahoma, Kansas, Nebraska and such, think of these steer jockey's that come in and buy steers for anywhere from $500 to $1000 and then take them back to Texas and sell them to kids for show steers for $5000. to $10,000? Because I know a couple of them that do it.

I have yet to see one of these $5,000.00 to $10,000.00 steers win a show of any consequence. 90% of them probaly don't bring near their purchase price back to the kids parents.
I know one guy that has bought 3 to 4 of them every year for his kids for about 10 years,and has never won a county show.
Big deal
Every year most parents were scared to compete against him, so the steer shows kept getting smaller until there was only 12 to 15 steers shown by the kids.
Anyhow to my knowledge he has never won any of them.

rgv4":1wvc7luy said:
What do all of you ranchers in states like Oklahoma, Kansas, Nebraska and such, think of these steer jockey's that come in and buy steers for anywhere from $500 to $1000 and then take them back to Texas and sell them to kids for show steers for $5000. to $10,000? Because I know a couple of them that do it.

I posted it earlier today under another thread and I stand by it, Its for Mom and Dad.
The Rexall Rangers pulling the 50,000 dollar aluminum trailer, that says such an such ranch. Their whole ranch fits in the trailer.
Thats not trying to buy the show. Horsefeathers! Show cattle are an advertising outlet. Most aren't fit to breed as they are to fat, and fall apart when introduced to the real world. Not always 45 to 50 degrees outside in the rain, snow, heat. It reminds me of Little league its more for Mom and Dad not the kids.

I think most of that stems from parents that don't have the time to spend looking for a steer for the kids. It's a lot easier to go one place and just spend the $$ then it is to actually get out into the cow herds and LOOK. Of course over the years the whole concept of showing steers has pretty much gone to pot anyway. I can't believe parents are stupid enough to spend that kind of money so the kids can win.. which they don't always do.

We sell any steer calf for $600, and any heifer for $850 to a junior. We've got two nice ones out there right now, and I sure hope they do good for the boy that bought him. They're a great family, very hard working, and deserve to win. That dedication and hard work is really great to see.

rgv4":2kxo0g5y said:
I think its disgusting. Not the steer jock that capitalizes on it, but the parents that feel like winning at any cost is the most important part of junior livestock shows. Its just like Camp says--too many of the parents do it for their own egos, to hell with the kids!

For the steer jocks, I say get their money! They'd probably just blow it on something else stupid, anyway. Be sure they get their money's worth, though. Don't sell 'em the $8,500 prospect unless it really $2,000 blacker than the $6,500 prospect! What a joke!

Texan":2zs7k30q said:
For the steer jocks, I say get their money! They'd probably just blow it on something else stupid, anyway. Be sure they get their money's worth, though. Don't sell 'em the $8,500 prospect unless it really $2,000 blacker than the $6,500 prospect! What a joke!
As far as I am concerned there is not a steer out there that's worth more than a couple hundred $ more than market price. If a high $ one wins at one show he will probaly loose at the next show. It really depends on who is the judge.
One judge may pick one today and another judge may place him down for some reason a week or so later.

All this runs along some of the same lines as barrel racing. Long ago it was which girl had the smallest butt, the fastest horse, and was the best rider. Fast forward many years to these days. Now it's which girl has the daddy who's willing to part with the most money. The size of her butt is directly proportionate to the size of his billfold. Better be anyway.

There. That should start up a whole new riot.

Craig-TX

Craig-TX":f0uu9b68 said:
All this runs along some of the same lines as barrel racing. Long ago it was which girl had the smallest butt, the fastest horse, and was the best rider. Fast forward many years to these days. Now it's which girl has the daddy who's willing to part with the most money. The size of her butt is directly proportionate to the size of his billfold. Better be anyway.

There. That should start up a whole new riot.

Craig-TX

How True I'm rolling almost lost my dip. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

My son has shown a heifer in two shows, last year. We bought her with her mother at her mother's side, the pair for 900 dollars because the dam was half Line One, and the breeder doesn't like Line Ones. Man, it is expensive to show cattle, and we were doing it on a shoestring budget! We purchased the pair to expand our herd from a proven reputable breeder who actually has a low opinion of the show circuit. He still remembers the gutless wonder fad. He also sold a steer for somewhere around market price that took reserve grand at a state fair out of 114 head. I asked him how the steer would have stacked up in quality to the bull that I had purchased from him. He replied, "Well, if he'd been as good, he'd have still been a bull." I guess what I'm saying in all this rambling is, occasionally, you might find a color-blind judge who appreciates thickness that is bred on not fed on, real-world worth, etc., but not very often in my opinion. I think that there should be a class in every show for real-world cattle that are simply washed, not clipped and fitted, with attempts to make their legs look heavier boned than they really are, and let them compete on their own real merits, not on who is better at getting them ready.

My son shows because he wants to, not me. I love helping him along with his mother and grandmother. He has to do the work to get them ready to show or he doesn't go. You know there is alot of things out there a kid can git into. This helps teach him responcibility and keeps him off the streets where he can get into trouble. I am going to support him all I can. I had rather spend $5000 dollars for a calf then $5000 bond if you know what I mean.

bobby22":3cb4f7qw said:
My son shows because he wants to, not me. I love helping him along with his mother and grandmother. He has to do the work to get them ready to show or he doesn't go. You know there is alot of things out there a kid can git into. This helps teach him responcibility and keeps him off the streets where he can get into trouble. I am going to support him all I can. I had rather spend $5000 dollars for a calf then $5000 bond if you know what I mean.

Sounds great its not about the money it's about the kids, and you seem to have the right attitude. You sound like your teaching the right values and spending quality time with your kid hats off to you. It is like anything else their are parents out their that are trying to win at all cost. It doesn't matter if you spend 50,000 dollars for a plug calf if its for the kids to learn responsibity,values and work ethic they are worth it. I just have a problem with the parents that are trying to buy the ribbon and not let their kids work for it.

bobby22 wrote:

Sounds great its not about the money it's about the kids, and you seem to have the right attitude. You sound like your teaching the right values and spending quality time with your kid hats off to you. It is like anything else their are parents out their that are trying to win at all cost. It doesn't matter if you spend 50,000 dollars for a plug calf if its for the kids to learn responsibity,values and work ethic they are worth it. I just have a problem with the parents that are trying to buy the ribbon and not let their kids work for it.

Why is it that when I say the same thing you jump down my throat. :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

If any of you guys sold a steer for say 600 bucks and it won one of the majors, say Houston and sold for 500,000 then the next year you would have 1000 kids and parents at your door wanting to buy your steers. Are you telling me that with that much demand for your steers you would still sell them for 600 bucks. I don't think so!

txshowmom":2qynoso9 said:
bobby22 wrote:

Why is it that when I say the same thing you jump down my throat. :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Because you are so much fun to play devils advocate with. ;-) :lol: :lol: :lol:

txshowmom":2dorsc8p said:
Gee thank Camp..............I guess.

It was fun had you so mad yesterday I would have known your Social Security Number and Address in another ten minutes. Just glad you didn't know where to find me , been hard dodgin them 44 rounds.

txshowmom":1ajcvq8n said:
Showmom, maybe its because of these things that you said yesterday morning:
If you want to win you have got to be willing to shell out the big buck.
....in Texas most of the time you have to spend it to win it.
....once you get it in your veins you'll do it to win.
I f you had the money you know you would do the dame thing for you own kids.
Can you see how some of us might have trouble figuring out what's the most important thing to you?

What tat my family loves showing cattle and that we are willing to spend a little money to win. I didn't say we lie cheat or steal so why does everybody care what some family in Texas spends for some of their heifers?

Latest posts