Got A Live One!

Help Support CattleToday:

I luv herfrds

Reaction score
Got a really nice bull calf out of a 6yo cow this afternoon. :D :D :D

Only trouble is it looks like the cow will be culled this fall. Calf was having a hard latching on to nurse. The teats were engorged. Got him to nurse on 3 of the four. Will have see this fall.

Will have to get a picture of him tomorrow.

I luv herfrds":1jg1v8bc said:

Only trouble is it looks like the cow will be culled this fall. Calf was having a hard latching on to nurse. The teats were engorged. Got him to nurse on 3 of the four. Will have see this fall.

Awesome ILH!!

Thanks Randi. :D
He weights 88 lbs.

IMG_3166.jpg

IMG_3167.jpg

cows bag

I luv herfrds":2glp94vq said:

Give him time...he'll suck that big one down to size too eventually.

Sounds good ILH- and I agree that calf will do plumb fine with those teats...I don't know if you got the snow we do- but I'd be more worried about sunburned teats from the sun shining off the snow on those white teats....

I was looking at a couple of the heifers for the last few days- and noticed they were starting to bag up pretty good...Yesterday I checked with my son- and found my oldtimers disease was working again- and that the AI heifers are scheduled to come earlier than I thought....He handled the AIing- and instead of the AI heifers starting the 14th- they are due around the 8th-and were bred to calve between the 8th and 14th-so decided with all the snow- I better put them in the big lot so I can watch them....

This morning I was glad that if I'm losing my memory- and not losing my eye for when a cow looks due- because I was right about those heifers being close to calving....This morning we had two heifers with calves- an In Focus daughter with a 83 lb bull calf- and a Bannon of Wye daughter WCR Mary 845U with a 73 lb heifer calf...

Both were AIed to OCC Magnitude- and 12 days early- and there are a few more look like they could come any day...
I had been a little anxious since Magnitudes calving ease numbers dropped- and BW raised since we AIed- and I had not heard anything about how long a gestation period to expect- but these sure came easy- and have nice calving ease heads and build...

Temp got to 33 today- and the sun came out...Now to get rid of all these snowbanks before too many more calves come....

Happy for you ILH!!!

As for that cow's teats, I'll second what else has been said. I have one that has a 'coke-bottle' tit and after a few days - week the calf is able to get ahold of it (this cow is for terminal crosses only).

Katherine

We had a cow years ago that was really terrible with huge teats.

We put this cow in the head catch and got the calf up under her and just popped it into his mouth and away he went. Once they were down in size he had no trouble.
Give me a good tempered cow any day of the week. Cow never tried to kick us once. :D

Water is running here OT. No idea of the temp but is was sure warm today. Our snow is disappearing. Hope it gets your way soon.
If it freezes tonight I will have an ice rink to walk on to check cows.