got a letter from the usda

Help Support CattleToday:

dieselbeef

Reaction score
havent read it yet..is this animal regisrty thing gonna be mandatory?? and i have to have my farm/ranch inspected also.....

whaddya yall knw bout this

dieselbeef":r1zisxoj said:
havent read it yet..is this animal regisrty thing gonna be mandatory?? and i have to have my farm/ranch inspected also.....

whaddya yall knw bout this

Whenever anyone of those fed types sends you a letter - NEVER put off reading it. Open it IMMEDIATELY and read it.

This has been going on for a long time and you CANNOT ignore it - except at your peril.

Get smart fast - yesterday would have been better.

Do not think - for even one minute they will stay out of your shorts my friend.

Tonnes of info on this site and on the internet - get on to it right away.

I put up with a lot of gov interference in my own country - the feds COUNT on people like you NOT opening those letters until it is too late.

Only way to fight is to know the rules BETTER than the rule makers.

You will have a fight on your hands

Animal ID is only a small part of what you have coming.

Merry Christmas

Bez+

dam bez...doom and gloom...i just got it yesterday and got home late and left early..only so many hrs in the day...

looks like it creates a lot more werk for small timers like me...nosy dam govt needs to worry bout important stuff....

dieselbeef":11yage11 said:
looks like it creates a lot more werk for small timers like me...nosy dam govt needs to worry bout important stuff....

I completely agree... darned bureaucrats love to cut red tape, and do it lengthwise... me, I'm allergic to paperwork

dieselbeef":3tzeb7nz said:
dam bez...doom and gloom...i just got it yesterday and got home late and left early..only so many hrs in the day...

The thing about it. It is important. Sooner or later you'll comply.Believe it or not, our Domestically produced foods are the safest in the world.

This national ID stuff if BS. I get the idea behind it, and yeah its a good thought, but its never going to work out and its not cost effective or convenient, especially for smaller farmers. I don't see how our domestically produced foods are necessarily safe, even though they are safer than imported foods...on average 55 cows go into one 4 oz hamburger-even with a national ID system, there is no way you can trace contamination or a foodborne illness, considering the sheer number of animals, where the contamination might have occured, etc. Its just not realistic, and I find it pretty scary. That's one of the main reasons I am glad to be a farmer, I can produce my own meat and vegetables and be certain that its safe.

I hope it doesn;t become mandatory. I get back a lot more then the couple of bucks the tag costs by having the calves age and source verified.

This is not only for the FED Gov. this is very lucrative for the state and local government. When you buy or obtain tags it will go to your local tax assessment office and state for revenue which probably isn't now. It is very appealing to the people that do not have to deal with live stock. The pet lovers are pushing very hard in our state for ID of all pets and live stock. They are saying this will help prevent animal abuse.

dun":20eyi20k said:
I hope it doesn;t become mandatory. I get back a lot more then the couple of bucks the tag costs by having the calves age and source verified.
Well, it is mandatory in our State and it is a mess. As far as I can see they are not monitoring it very well....

I'm sure there are a few benefits to it, however it appears to mostly be another revenue enhancement source for our favorite government. :roll:

baxter78":rmbj6h7m said:
I thought there was a lawsuit filed here recently by some people that put a block on that from making it mandatory? I could have sworn I saw the article on here to?

That's at the federal level. States, tribes, etc. can do what they can get away with

quik lookover i think i need somethin for the salebarn?? document nukber..but i aint read it yet..maybe over the hoilday

There's a generic country of origin affidavit. I got one as an email but the salebarns also have them. Just quicker if you already have one on file or have it filled out before hand

voluntary enrollment for animal registry...for tracking in case of an outbreak or notification of an area outbreak

should i bother...like i need another set of eyes in my business....

dieselbeef":1x7l4iov said:
voluntary enrollment for animal registry...for tracking in case of an outbreak or notification of an area outbreak

should i bother...like i need another set of eyes in my business....
This has been beat to death. Animal registry is about control. Control is power. Some folks sign up for the easy short term premiums at the sale barn.
In Texas, the tracking of outbreaks and notification of area outbreaks is already in place. I get e-mails from them now on out breaks, most are out of state. We are required by state law to report specified disease out breaks in our herd. This seems to work fine without animal registry.
So, why is the USDA spending millions trying to get us to voluntarily register our animals? Control.
You can have the biggest most powerful military in the world. In the end, those who control the food source, control the people.
I'd throw the letter away myself. But, that's just me.

dieselbeef said:
Not doom and gloom - REALITY!!

What you do with that letter is your business - but ALWAYS open them.

One thing all you folks out there need to realize ....

You get mail from the various legislative authorities - sometimes they actually WANT you to ignore that mail.

In fact sometimes they hope like he!! you ignore that mail.

That way it can be categorically stated that you have been duly informed by a court recognized method and did not respond.

You know - the vast majority of civil servants are supposed to have your best interests at heart.

Those real nice civil servants - those nice people who work behind the scenes and wear suits and ties - cost my family some very very valuable property about 30 years ago.

My family ignored a letter and opened it a few days later - raced to make a required payment - they had the money to do this.

My Dad tells me they missed the deadline for payment by about one hour.

Courts upheld the deadline.

A real nice federal government building sits on that property now.

Ignore mail at your own risk - remembering at all times there is at least one sender somewhere that WANTS you to ignore it.

I can critique the faults of my family's actions all day - but you look hard enough I bet there is some poor sumbeech in your own neighbourhood that has been screwed by not opening a letter from the feds, the state, the province, the country, the township, the municipality, etc, etc.

Paranoid? Perhaps - but you have no idea what leaving one letter from a gov agency unopened did to some of my family - could be you some day - hope not.

Takes 30 seconds to scan them - we do now.

You take that time - it may save your @ss someday.

On a good note - congrats on being the first guy in your family to be a farmer / rancher. Saw a pic of you and your kid(?) on an old post - you enjoy that family - love them hard my friend.

Best regards

Bez+

HEY BEZ IM WITH YA..PRECIATE THE PROPS ON THE OTHER POSTS..oops sorry bout the caps..anyways...i scanned it real quik til i finally read it. its a voluntary animal registration so they can contact me in case of an outbreak..or diesese control issues.
real sorry to hear bout yer family property loss cuz things like that will make a man bitter..its not like itll ever go away..
im trying to make the most of my family while i can..hes about 26 months old and he is awesome. my wife had to go round up some cows got thru the nieghbors fence into their yard and she handled it with a little phone coaching.
i wouldnt say my life has been chrmed but maybe a little lucky at times..

thanks for the advice bez..i appreciate it

Latest posts