Got a good rain

Help Support CattleToday:

1982vett

Reaction score
Got an 1 1/10th this morning as the cooler weather is making its way down. Pastures were once again looking thirsty.

1.3 here very much needed. Just got back from long ride. I've seen no less than 20 fresh rubbed cedars. Bucks really must of been busy this morning. I think the switch flipped on this front.

have to put away 4th cutting today.. tomorrow 100% rain.

And an inch and a half here in N. Tx. too, but was lucky as one of the cells in the front came directly overhead. Had a spike of 4"/hr. rate for about 15 min. then light rain for a couple of hours. One field has been planted in peas and rye since mid Sept. Looks like it's ready to take off.

Getting rain here this morning. That's my luck got about 10ac of hay left to bale, bearing when out on the baler yesterday afternoon so there she lays. Not so bad I guess it's the last cutting of crabgrass we let it seed out to reseed for next year. We'll get it up when we get it, need some lesser quality to go with distillers slop anyway..

callmefence":m3ljolqr said:
1.3 here very much needed. Just got back from long ride. I've seen no less than 20 fresh rubbed cedars. Bucks really must of been busy this morning. I think the switch flipped on this front.

He slowed down, early rut here.

Texasmark":ehrn9kw2 said:
And an inch and a half here in N. Tx. too, but was lucky as one of the cells in the front came directly overhead. Had a spike of 4"/hr. rate for about 15 min. then light rain for a couple of hours. One field has been planted in peas and rye since mid Sept. Looks like it's ready to take off.
Can see the oats I planted into pasture again. Hopefully will get some more rain soon to keep it going.

rollinhills":2n725peh said:
Not so bad I guess it's the last cutting of crabgrass we let it seed out to reseed for next year. We'll get it up when we get it, need some lesser quality to go with distillers slop anyway..

Would you elaborate on what you said sir? What is distiller's slop?
How is CG for hay and what likes it?

Thanks,
Mark

Texasmark":knvl1n8s said:

Update: Probably early on the comments but no activity yet other than the Bermuda just doing super. It's in round spots so it must be where I fed Bermuda round bales in the past.....I have seen that in other pastures I have fed. Didn't know shoots would come back to life and plant themselves but they do. That being the case, why is a guy so worried about keeping freshly dug sprigs wet? Quantity of survivors I guess.

Course it's only been 3 days and germ takes 5-7 or thereabouts. However the top layer is crusting over and the little guys will have a time breaking through it.....no follow up rains in the forecast for at least the next 10 days.

Once again the front came through dry.

I personally don't think Bermuda shoots from hay come back to life. I do think there are millions of seed in a bale and it takes only a few survivors to establish a spot. One of my "tricks" is to feed on poor hard packed ground. The waste adds organic matter which helps hold moisture. Doesn't happen over night, but it works.

I wish I could send our rain elsewhere. Almost 6" in the last 48 hours and supposed to continue steady for 48 more. Add that on top of out 100 and some odd inches since May and its just been a slop shop all year, never in my life have I wanted a little bit of a drought like I do now.

Being 1/2 of a mile from the largest body of fresh water on the planet means that unless something crazy happens we don't really get "drought" like other areas do. Even if we don't get rain we always get mist/fog off the water and heavy dew which amounts to more than what some people would call a "good rain".

Getting rain all season to the point there are cat tails in your fields, grass is flooded out and dead, and animals have had their feet rot right off is just as bad as drought in my eyes.

chevytaHOE5674":2k9hpmy2 said:
I wish I could send our rain elsewhere. Almost 6" in the last 48 hours and supposed to continue steady for 48 more. Add that on top of out 100 and some odd inches since May and its just been a slop shop all year, never in my life have I wanted a little bit of a drought like I do now.
After last summers drought I'll take this year's wet slop any time !

coachg":26e06uxf said:
After last summers drought I'll take this year's wet slop any time !

Last summer was almost as wet as this summer UP here. My backyard and hay lot which are usually dry have had standing water in them going on about 20 months now. Last fall was very wet here then winter came with a bang and there was mud and standing water underneath our 4 feet of snow and it stayed that way right thru this spring when it started raining and hasn't quit. Most of our ground has been wet so long that there is white and black mold growing on the soil...

Like I said there's really no such thing as a true drought where I live. I would gladly take a couple of months with no moisture, but that will never happen this time of year. So hopefully next summer things dry up some.

Rain is in the forecast for Tuesday, but they say it'll only be sprinkles. Right now a few sprinkles may be the only reason my seed survives, if it does.

ChevytaHOE, Polar opposites in N Alabama . Last summer was dry , our ponds dried up and I had to haul water to our cows. We struggled to have enough grazing and barely made it through the winter with what little hay we made. This summer has been extremely wet, from the Spring through this weekend, 3 inches last night ! We struggled to get hay cut and cured to bale between wet spells, but we have 3 times the hay we normally carry into the winter ! I wasn't making light of your plight and know constant dampness can causes issues with your cattle. Hoping you get some dry days !

Latest posts