Got a good deal..

Help Support CattleToday:

skyhightree1

Reaction score
Friends pig pen was almost under water and mud with pigs no place to go so he told me come get them an hour drive each way for 20.00 each how could i go wrong.

M-5":23885ho6 said:
does he not know that pigs love mud ?

:lol: For sure but all of these were covered in different pens up to there back they had no where to sit or lay down and water was still rising.

jltrent":31hoyahz said:
How are the pigs doing? Looks like you got some nice ones.

They are doing pretty good im still deworming them but they seem to be doing fairly well.

ez14.":31hoyahz said:
What Are people trying to get for feeder pigs around you sky?

Avg around 40-50 each for private sales I know but cant remember what barns bringing

They didn't have any at last weeks sale

https://www.ams.usda.gov/mnreports/rh_ls148.txt

Nesikep":31hoyahz said:
This reminds me of how Sky got horses :p

:mad: im shipping them to you

I am not sure how much fat will be on these as I am not getting waste milk consistently now which may be a good thing so I don't have tons of fat like before we will see. people say there bigger but i cant tell it.

skyhightree1":2tdqv7xs said:
jltrent":2tdqv7xs said:

They are doing pretty good im still deworming them but they seem to be doing fairly well.

ez14.":2tdqv7xs said:

Avg around 40-50 each for private sales I know but cant remember what barns bringing

That's a lot better then around here feeder pigs are selling for 90-100 each! A slaughter pig is only going for 125- 150ish

ez14.":pkdlz9g8 said:
skyhightree1":pkdlz9g8 said:
jltrent":pkdlz9g8 said:

ez14.":pkdlz9g8 said:

That's a lot better then around here feeder pigs are selling for 90-100 each! A slaughter pig is only going for 125- 150ish

I figured prices would be better here since im not far from smithfield

skyhightree1":20lkbjxm said:
I am not sure how much fat will be on these as I am not getting waste milk consistently now which may be a good thing so I don't have tons of fat like before we will see. people say there bigger but i cant tell it.

You know how to raise pigs as I can tell a difference already. They will make a lot of sausage.

jltrent":1ascg7il said:
skyhightree1":1ascg7il said:

You know how to raise pigs as I can tell a difference already. They will make a lot of sausage.

Thanks a few people ask me my secret cause they said the same too. I enjoy raising pigs. I guess i see them so much I can't see the difference much. I cant wait for the sausage or the bacon.

Sky, I feed 2 pigs every year. in a barn on concrete, they are on pig meal, and corn
one of them is off feed, moping around, I called the vet they asked if i changed their feed, I said I gave them some spent cauliflower tops from the garden. she said stop that could be it, nitrate poison? but i should hit them with an antibiotic in case of pneumonia.
tonight ive gotta check there temps and report to the vet.
Ive never had any trouble upto now.
Help
Bill

BILL CLAYLAND":3b60dtlh said:
Sky, I feed 2 pigs every year. in a barn on concrete, they are on pig meal, and corn
one of them is off feed, moping around, I called the vet they asked if i changed their feed, I said I gave them some spent cauliflower tops from the garden. she said stop that could be it, nitrate poison? but i should hit them with an antibiotic in case of pneumonia.
tonight ive gotta check there temps and report to the vet.
Ive never had any trouble upto now.
Help
Bill

Bill,
I have to be careful about how much produce I feed mine because of that same reasoning. That's a very bad spot you are in. If its nitrate poisoning then I don't think there's a cause for antibiotics. The vet should be able to give you some meds for the nitrate poisoning but i think they need a sample of the blood to confirm that's what it is. There is alot of things that store nitrates and such and i have a page to put in a link. I would definitely discontinue that and stick to other feeds. I hope this helps pm me if you have any additional questions or put it in this post ill monitor it.

https://www.minipiginfo.com/dear-pig-wh ... ic-to-pigs

Thanks Sky.
Would Hi mag mineral i give to the cows help?
Ill get their temp to rule out pneumonia and catch up with the vet

BILL CLAYLAND":37nstkqf said:
Thanks Sky.
Would Hi mag mineral i give to the cows help?
Ill get their temp to rule out pneumonia and catch up with the vet

Your welcome I researched and it seems the only for sure help is methylene blue which i guess you get from the vet is supposed to be same you use for cows and pretty effective. I am not sure I would give them Hi Mag since a solution is pretty available. I personally would not give that to them.

http://www.thepigsite.com/pighealth/art ... -nitrites/

Ended up with 1400# of dry malt left over so.plan to put it in troughs and put milk on it. I fed them some dry which won't do anything but flow right through them

The first one there must be the runt and looks like the tail has either been clipped or froze off..........What did you use to worm them?

IMG_20180703_201041148.jpg

Are you gonna do one of these for the 4th?

Spit_pig_grande.jpg

jltrent":3lovozzt said:
The first one there must be the runt and looks like the tail has either been clipped or froze off..........What did you use to worm them?

IMG_20180703_201041148.jpg

Are you gonna do one of these for the 4th?

Spit_pig_grande.jpg

Not sure what happened to the tail.. I fed them pumpkin seeds and garlic to start the worming process Saturday they will get wazine wormer in there water. Na it's too hot to cookout for me. I been selling some pigs out of the public pen this morning I'm done for the day relax time.

I heard that a Purina feed salesman showed up at Sky's place and said to Sky I can put you on a feed program that will get your hogs to market weight 2 weeks earlier than the way your are feeding now. Sky replied what is time to a hog.

Latest posts