Got a good deal..

Help Support CattleToday:

hurleyjd":czti1ylt said:
I heard that a Purina feed salesman showed up at Sky's place and said to Sky I can put you on a feed program that will get your hogs to market weight 2 weeks earlier than the way your are feeding now. Sky replied what is time to a hog.

:lol:

jltrent":p9inknpo said:
They are in hog heaven looks like. lol

They are... They love that dry barley malt I got I put in troughs put will on it one ate so much it threw up. Gotta keep the feed in front of them.

skyhightree1":21v3oo5a said:
jltrent":21v3oo5a said:

They are... They love that dry barley malt I got I put in troughs put will on it one ate so much it threw up. Gotta keep the feed in front of them.
I had three sows a few years ago and if you want them to grow as you said "Gotta keep the feed in front of them". I really enjoyed raising the pigs, but a lot of work and short on time then and prices were low. A guy came and looked at them from Harlan Kentucky and I sold them all to him. I had a nice home built 3 point hitch crate for the back of my tractor that you could run/lure the hogs in and raise them off the ground and load in a trailer. I sold it also. One of these days I am going to build me another chicken house and hog house and raise some more.

jltrent":28ew2x09 said:
skyhightree1":28ew2x09 said:
jltrent":28ew2x09 said:

I had three sows a few years ago and if you want them to grow as you said "Gotta keep the feed in front of them". I really enjoyed raising the pigs, but a lot of work and short on time then and prices were low. A guy came and looked at them from Harlan Kentucky and I sold them all to him. I had a nice home built 3 point hitch crate for the back of my tractor that you could run/lure the hogs in and raise them off the ground and load in a trailer. I sold it also. One of these days I am going to build me another chicken house and hog house and raise some more.

Nice what breed did you have?

skyhightree1":iruo2rrw said:
jltrent":iruo2rrw said:
skyhightree1":iruo2rrw said:

I had two Hampshires and one Duroc Sow and a neighbor had a Poland China boar that I would breed them to. Those Duroc's will sure get fat, but when they got fat seems they didn't have as many pigs. The Hampshires would have a lot more pigs. I have had them to lay on them and kill them, their tail froze off when they were born in cold weather, etc. etc. a lot of work.....Those Hampshire when they had pigs could get pretty mean.

jltrent":26iiphav said:
skyhightree1":26iiphav said:
jltrent":26iiphav said:

I had two Hampshires and one Duroc Sow and a neighbor had a Poland China boar that I would breed them to. Those Duroc's will sure get fat, but when they got fat seems they didn't have as many pigs. The Hampshires would have a lot more pigs. I have had them to lay on them and kill them, their tail froze off when they were born in cold weather, etc. etc. a lot of work.....Those Hampshire when they had pigs could get pretty mean.

yea your right. Guy I bought pigs from had a duroc boar he was a mean dude. I may eventually keep pigs all year round but no time soon.but when if I do I will make their barn completely out of pallets like the ones I use now. I will probably only raise Yorkshires.

Apparently my personal pigs get good mad scientist feed...it was a hit... Lol

1 part barley
2 parts fermented cherries
2 parts milk

skyhightree1":39c80lwl said:

1 part barley
2 parts milk

Where did you get the cherries?

ez14.":43w9jfwj said:
skyhightree1":43w9jfwj said:

1 part barley
2 parts milk

Where did you get the cherries?

Made a Imperial cherry Gose at the brewery

I can tell they have growed even since the last picture. They are looking good. Those Yorkshires suppose to be leaner meat than other hog breeds as that is the kind I would want.

IMG_20180719_182807175.jpg

jltrent":3boc7soy said:
I can tell they have growed even since the last picture. They are looking good. Those Yorkshires suppose to be leaner meat than other hog breeds as that is the kind I would want.

IMG_20180719_182807175.jpg

The meat is a lil leaner and they do well I love a yorkshire. Yea they try to compete on out eating each other so they have no choice to grow :lol:

kenny thomas":1q4s82ga said:
Not sure why but the old timers would give them a few chunks of coal. I'm thinking to worm them. They sure liked it. Chewed it up fast.

That is why ashes were fed to pigs as well.

The carbon in the coal will also help to neutralize their gut tract. Carbon is fed to many animals to help neutralize any toxins in their system. Have fed it to baby calves to help with digestion and such.

farmerjan":1v05f28b said:
The carbon in the coal will also help to neutralize their gut tract. Carbon is fed to many animals to help neutralize any toxins in their system. Have fed it to baby calves to help with digestion and such.

Will it do the same in humans?

I have been told that it can be used by humans. You need to find someone who is knowledgeable in homeopathic - natural -medicines and such. I Just don't know that much about it as far as a human use. But I have heard that if a person has swallowed or eaten some toxins, that charcoal will help to bind it so that it is not absorbed by the intestines. I am not well versed in it but have been trying to learn more about different types of "treatments" . If you think about it and have any knowledge of tropical fish, all the filters use a 2 stage type filter. There is a filter material (used to be fiberglass years ago but now is a man made fluffy material) that traps the physical matter, and charcoal/carbon that the water filters through to purify it before going back into the tank.

JMJ Farms":sk854g52 said:
farmerjan":sk854g52 said:

Will it do the same in humans?

At one time several coal deep miners around here. I am sure they eat a lot of coal dust and it may have helped their gut, but it sure doesn't help their lungs when they breath the dust in.

@JMJ you can google carbon use in livestock and find articles about the activated charcoal and how it will neutralize poison in the system.... I think I saw some in a paste form at TSC or our local feed store recently.

Latest posts