Got a cow up

Help Support CattleToday:

backhoeboogie

Reaction score
A man gave us one that had been down a week. His vet bill had already gone out of his budget. We pasted her with CMPK (two tubes) and got her to crawl into the trailer. Been snubbing her by the nose and pasting her each day. Cubes, water and hay at her side. Tonight she was on her feet for three hours. Wobbled at first.

She's a HB. Doggone it she's angus too. I've now got $45 in her - total for everything including fuel. Good top line and good length. Hocks not too bad. Light in the rear. Just wrong breed for this climate and I hate her attitude too. She should calve in about 6 weeks. Hate to look a gift horse in the mouth - but.

Fed out on feed store hay this winter. Obviously shorted on mineral too.

Now you can also say I "rescued" an animal. She was hours away from a bullet.

"crawled on the trailer"??? I wouldn't have attempted that, wouldn't have believed it could be done. Did you use a ramp??

Good on ya for saving the old sister from death by mis-management. Hope the calf will be all right - it's been malnourished, too.

congrats-just went through that but it didn't turn out as well. Finally had ours put down. Was my daughters show heifer-had just had her first calf-a nice bull-lost him after bottle feeding for 2 weeks.

MO_cows":2dt5uxqf said:
"crawled on the trailer"??? I wouldn't have attempted that, wouldn't have believed it could be done. Did you use a ramp??

Good on ya for saving the old sister from death by mis-management. Hope the calf will be all right - it's been malnourished, too.

She's not very old. I guess about 7 maybe 6. She was on her haunches. Back up to her, front leg in then lift the other and put it in. That's the hard part. Head in a head stall and pulling forward. Twisting the tail wasn't enough. Had to hit her with the hot shot twice. Didn't want to stress her much but there wasn't much other way to get her to go. Also didn't want to get that graphic of a descript here in the forum. :(

The guy I went into this with really wanted to give her back. Told him it was up to him but what goes around comes around so think of it as a good deed. We're going to get our investment back, but eat the time. It aint no big thang. It was kind of good to see this kid have a conscience like this. Plus the original owner is learning. He was out money to get her plus out vet bills as well.

I aint losing nothing. She's too weak to ride in the trailer just yet so she'll be at the house a little longer. That'll give me time to get her in top shape.

Good to see folks that have a proper perspective on things. Life isn't all about money. We have to teach the next generation the right way of treating each other or we will never have another GREAT generation. That is the MAIN reason I am going home to the farm. You RARELY see selfless service to neighbors in the cities I have lived in over this Great Nation of ours.

Latest posts