Got a bird

Help Support CattleToday:

Keren

Reaction score
My little patch of earth, Perth, WA, Australia
I've got a bird living with me at the moment.

It's a young galah, got hit by a car just outside my house. I grabbed him and had a look at his wing, the bone was completely smashed and awful. So we've trimmed back the feathers on the wing, and put a green ring above the break, put him in a cage. He seems bright enough. Have him on tetracycline to try to avoid infection. He's a pretty calm bird, not trying to bite or screeching too much. So I guess if he lives I'll have a pet galah. Biggest problem is I'm not sure if he's eating. I put out some parrot mix for him, but I dont think he could crack the seeds, so I've been soaking them for him. Also force-fed him a bit of hand-rearing mix last night, just so I knew he'd had something.

Any thoughts/tips?

Really pretty birds. Just last week I was watching a show on the Discovery channel, or some similar channel, and was quite surprised to see all the various parrots that are native to Australia and Tasmania. What a great variety of beautiful birds ya'll are blessed with. Of course, having 10 or 12 types of poisonous snakes sort of acts as a counterbalance, doesn't it.

The food should be offered in such a way as to mimic the feeding habits of the birds in the wild. Galahs tend to forage throughout the day and in captivity are very prone to obesity. They therefore should be offered half their daily quota of their seed mix morning and later afternoon and a variety of fresh greens throughout the day. Ad lib feeding of seed may lead to obesity.
Found this ~ but knowing you, you have already done your research ;-) What a beautiful bird!! I can say, from rehabing birds, that they are nervous and stressed. More so than any other animal I work with, besides maybe rabbits, birds take the longest to come around. Keep it in a quiet place, try to let it acclimate with one environment, one room, one person until it gets feeling better and eating.

May favorite rehab animal was a grackle named Perch. Everytime I see a grackle, I wonder if its him.

Latest posts