Got a bad load of Fertilizer

Help Support CattleToday:

Rebeltex

Reaction score
Had some fertilizer spread 3 weeks ago on my bottomland hay meadows which are predominately Dallis grass with Bahaia and common Bermuda mixed in..21-8-17 from the same company I have used forever. I got a good rain on the meadows and a very slight greenup. It's got enough soil moisture as I've had good rain. Not too much rain either. But now it looks bad, it's not even as green as the pasture next to it. It has streaks of green with some growth right behind where the truck ran, I was there when it was spread and the truck was working.

I've talked to the company and got a somewhat uninterested reply. said they had the fertilizer tested and it was ok. They might send someone out to look at it. I haven't turned up the heat on them yet bit I'm fixin to.

Anyone ever seen and dealt with something like this?

I have never heard of a batch of bad fertilizer but where you there when they loaded the truck? i know its the busy time of year for them and I wonder if they might have got your order mixed up with someone else. If that is not the case then i'm confused because the amount of nitrogen you put out it should have greened up nicely.

I just started fertilizing night time temps had the Bahia all screwed up till the middle of May. I am predominantly Bahia and Bermuda grass.Secondly it has been so wet can't get in to the pastures.
I have never had the issue you described with the Bahia.
I have seen the color you talk of due to low ph. Did your fertilizer lower your already low ph?
Have you even checked your ph?
If not and your low you just wasted your fertilizer.
That 21 if ammonia nitrate that is a lot of acid if your ph is already low or borderline.

Rebeltex":38cajyos said:
Had some fertilizer spread 3 weeks ago on my bottomland hay meadows which are predominately Dallis grass with Bahaia and common Bermuda mixed in..21-8-17 from the same company I have used forever. I got a good rain on the meadows and a very slight greenup. It's got enough soil moisture as I've had good rain. Not too much rain either. But now it looks bad, it's not even as green as the pasture next to it. It has streaks of green with some growth right behind where the truck ran, I was there when it was spread and the truck was working.

I've talked to the company and got a somewhat uninterested reply. said they had the fertilizer tested and it was ok. They might send someone out to look at it. I haven't turned up the heat on them yet bit I'm fixin to.

The ol' "We had it tested" is BS. Ask to see the test result sheet and make sure they can tie it back to your load. Around here the only test ever done on fertilizer is when the Office of the Texas State Chemist inspector comes by and pulls samples and sends them to Texas A&M.

TexasBred":1h3kwfw5 said:
Rebeltex":1h3kwfw5 said:

The ol' "We had it tested" is BS. Ask to see the test result sheet and make sure they can tie it back to your load. Around here the only test ever done on fertilizer is when the Office of the Texas State Chemist inspector comes by and pulls samples and sends them to Texas A&M.

I agree with the tested is BS it is based off analysis of what they had delivered.
Still the only time I have seen Bahia set back is low ph. Now I am sure there are other things that can set it back I haven't encountered yet.

Caustic Burno":oltsm34p said:
I agree with the tested is BS it is based off analysis of what they had delivered.
Still the only time I have seen Bahia set back is low ph. Now I am sure there are other things that can set it back I haven't encountered yet.

Yep....dang bahia will grow in the dirt of your floorboard.

Soil Test pH was 6.2 this spring taken two weeks before fertilization. Meadows were limed last year at 2 tons per acre. Typically I have to lime about every three years in these hay meadows. This bottomland floods occasionally and will get acidic quick if I don't keep it limed.

Soil temp was 78* a week ago, that's little low for this time of year but not bad.

I was not there when the fertilizer was blended, maybe someone messed up?

The way the lady at the company was quick to say that they tested it makes me wonder if there are others with the same problem?

you're screwed... bcs of mechanical mixing error local company spread all the fertilizer for the neighbors field
on only 1/2 of his field.... prove it.... you have to be able prove it or you are out of luck... even then an uphill battle

Sounds like an application problem if it was streaked behind the truck. If the fan speed is too high on the spreader, it can pulverize certain fertilizer and not throw it far enough to make a good pattern. Also, build up where it falls from the box to the fans can cause problems as well. It also could be that the driver simply drove too wide to get a good overlapping pattern.

Latest posts