Gooseneck Trailer on a Service Truck

Help Support CattleToday:

BrownCow

Reaction score
Alright gang, I've been sitting in my dorm room, pondering possibilities. I've been studying the possibility of pulling a gooseneck trailer with a F250 with a service-body on it. I looked at this scenario 2 years ago and determined it would be impossible. I saw a lifted pickup pulling a gooseneck yesterday, and realized that there has got to be a way to make this work.

I did some poking around the internet and found that some people had added lift blocks to their trailers and extended the hitch down to use them on taller trucks. What do y'all think of that? My trouble is going to be clearing the bed sides, as I really don't want to smash the top of my tool boxes.

For reference, from the ground to the top of the bed rails is 57" . From the "bed floor" to the top of the rails is 24". I would like to make this truck work. I'd hate to have to buy another truck right as I'm getting out of school. Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Where there's a will there's a way. Lift blocks would work but they also raise the height of the back of the trailer. A raised gooseneck ball if fabricated correctly would also potentially work as long as you don't have torsion axles on the trailer. I like 8" of clearance between truck and trailer. Good luck.

I too think weight is a possible issue as Brute23 points out. The other issue I think you will have even if you use lift blocks is angle departure at bed corners. Put the truck/trailer at a sharp angle like coming out of a Cstore or street with sharp approach angles. I added a 6" tall attachment point on top of my pickup bed rails for a lift pole setup. I have clearance issues with both my new gooseneck flatbed trailer and Featherlite cattle trailer. I have had contact coming out of a convience store and had to back up and basically screw everyone up so i could leave at an angle,same as i drove into the little parking lot.
I will have to cut and redesign my attchment point for lift.
I have seen some mfg make high clearance necks on flatbeds. Another possible option might be a 5 th wheel setup...i dont know. I think just adding length to an existing GN hitch with out additional bracing might cause leverage issues and cause breakage.

Kingfisher":811d5q3h said:
Take the service bed off and sell it.

+1. Sell it and get you a flat bed with under bed boxes and a toolbox in the front and short side boxes. Should be able to put most if not all your tools back on there.

Craig Miller":hxctl3au said:
Kingfisher":hxctl3au said:
Take the service bed off and sell it.

+1. Sell it and get you a flat bed with under bed boxes and a toolbox in the front and short side boxes. Should be able to put most if not all your tools back on there.

Thanks for the responses. I think this is the route I'll end up going. There's enough crap to go wrong on a daily basis as it is. No sense adding to it by trying to cobble this rig together.

~~BC

Latest posts