Gooseneck hitch height ? A lot of questions

Help Support CattleToday:

cowboy43

Reaction score
The standard gooseneck trailer hitch height is the standard bed height on a 3/4 or 1 ton truck, I have seen some with an elevated height by having a flat bed on their truck which looks to be 6" TO 1 ft above standard height, it looks like the front tires on the gooseneck are barely touching the ground when it is unloaded, how does this affect the balance when loaded, and the pulling of the trailer, also how does it affect the wearing of the tires, is their some manufactures guidlines to go by, if loaded axle weight was checked at a traffic stop would the axle load pass, it just don't look right but maybe it does not affect anything. To me it makes it look like redneck truck :lol2:

The load should be equal on both axles. Sometimes the neck of the gn needs to be cut down for taller trucks.

My GNs are adjustable. My 3/4 ton and the 1 ton only have about an inch difference at the hitch. Get the trailer right and then I leave it alone.

If one axel has more weight the tires will wear faster . Try to set your trailer up to pull level as possible .

JSCATTLE":219nztav said:
If one axel has more weight the tires will wear faster . Try to set your trailer up to pull level as possible .
just wanted to add When loaded
i always liked my trailers a little higher in the front when empty and then recheck when you load it to make sure it isn't too low in the front
if it is lower in the front then you are pushing more wt down on your truck
level or SLIGHTLY above when loaded works best

Here's what I use works slicker than snot on a doorknob. I can keep about any gooseneck perfectly level loaded or empty. I built my flatbed so the deck is barely higher than the top of the ball and a piece of heavy steel covers the hole.
gooseneck_001.JPG

gooseneck_002.JPG

I put firestone airbags and an underhood compressor on the truck for around $500 and from the cab I can adjust the height of the truck to fit about any standard gooseneck trailer and still have a very nice ride when empty. It works extremely well.
gooseneck_003.JPG

gooseneck_004.JPG

Here's what I use works slicker than snot on a doorknob. I can keep about any gooseneck perfectly level loaded or empty. I built my flatbed so the deck is barely higher than the top of the ball and a piece of heavy steel covers the hole.
gooseneck_001.JPG

gooseneck_002.JPG

I put firestone airbags and an underhood compressor on the truck for around $500 and from the cab I can adjust the height of the truck to fit about any standard gooseneck trailer and still have a very nice ride when empty. It works extremely well.
gooseneck_003.JPG

gooseneck_004.JPG

To state the obvious! The higher in the front loaded or empty depends on the truck suspension. Heavy suspension and it will stay about the same loaded or empty. Lighter suspension and the front will be lower loaded.

Very true. this is why this setup works very well on my 95 dodge 3/4 ton which have long leaf springs which offer a nice soft ride but squat way down when loaded heavy. I can adjust ride height easily no matter what trailer bumper pull or gooseneck or load I have on and keep a nice soft ride.

ohiosteve":10y2re90 said:
Hey JS? Did you ever get that beer I left on your porch after the Buckeyes lost?
Naa the ups man must have drank it . But that's ok I'm happy with another win over the buckeyes .

Latest posts