Google Earth

Help Support CattleToday:

Train

Reaction score
It's neat to look up your place on Google Earth, unless it's my place. First tried it in 2004 and thought it was pretty cool. Then in 2006 they updated it and our place is right where they spliced the satellite photos. They had the edges misaligned and overlapped so you couldn't see half the yard and the other half was all faded. Finally, they've updated the photos. For some reason our area has photos from late winter so there's snow everywhere and the photos are all washed out so they looks like some 3rd grader drew them with pencil crayons and you can't make out any detail at all. Not a life changer but a little frustrating.

its ver cool and very scary at the same time. ive used it to estimate jobs and its saved me a ton of fuel.

I looked on street view around where my Brother lives and there he was standing on his front step, washing down the path, I looked around where I live and saw the front of my house with our car parked in front but no people.

It is lots of fun to use and view. However, it has become a very important tool for cattle thieves. They can use aerial views and look at remote pastures and find where they come closer to a road or where they can cut fences to get to roads in order to steal cattle. They drop off a guy or two and a couple of dogs and they call the cattle into an area and when the cattle are caught, they use cell phones to have the trailer come into a preplanned route from the google earth views and then they load the cattle and sneak out a remote area with a cut fence. Have had several neighbors lose cattle this way, but nobody ever seems to get caught. Also used for stealing machinery

stocky":dd6jvdhk said:
It is lots of fun to use and view. However, it has become a very important tool for cattle thieves. They can use aerial views and look at remote pastures and find where they come closer to a road or where they can cut fences to get to roads in order to steal cattle. They drop off a guy or two and a couple of dogs and they call the cattle into an area and when the cattle are caught, they use cell phones to have the trailer come into a preplanned route from the google earth views and then they load the cattle and sneak out a remote area with a cut fence. Have had several neighbors lose cattle this way, but nobody ever seems to get caught. Also used for stealing machinery

but you cannot blame the technology for the evil in mens hearts.
Evil is abundant and it will make itself manifest unless battled at every turn.

how about this.....
if we had a national electronic ID system and cattle were implanted with an RFID device....they could be tracked to the market and who got the check and that person could be apprehended.
But noooo. no one wanted anything to do with new technology and the guvment tracking their cows.
so battle cattle thieves the same way we have for thousands of years.....catch em if you can.

Not blaming the technology, I am just saying that giving every person in the world who has criminal intent video surveillance of every inch of your property also has it's drawbacks. I don't want to start an argument about the ID system you mentioned, but every tractor and piece of machinery has an ID number on it and it is registered, but in our area, there has never been a stolen tractor or stolen piece of machinery recovered or traced among people I know that have had them stolen. Pickups and cars are stolen every day and most are never found and they are ID'ed and registered. Just as chop shops remove ID's, cattle theives would be able to remove cattle Id's. Even cattle thieves get around brands by simply using a slaughter house that they are connected with to sell the meat. Also, cattle ID systems have nothing to do with people who intend to do damage to someone's property now having video access to their property so they can more easily figure where are the best entry and exit points to burn haystacks and cut fences or whatever they want to do. Just saying the system is fun to look at, but be aware, giving criminals video access to your property has it's potential drawbacks

pdfangus":1pr8zs91 said:
how about this.....
if we had a national electronic ID system and cattle were implanted with an RFID device....they could be tracked to the market and who got the check and that person could be apprehended.
But noooo. no one wanted anything to do with new technology and the guvment tracking their cows.
so battle cattle thieves the same way we have for thousands of years.....catch em if you can.

And rightfully not. Rather deal with a single group of cattle thieves than a whole bunch of them in Washington. Just as the proponents of a national ID system boasted on the remarkable system they have in the United Kingdom some of us checked in on this for verification and found their system truly wanting. For bureacracy it is a wonderful job creator and gives them even more of your freedom so they can dole it out morsel at a time. For instance, if you need to move a cow from one county to the next you have to get a moving permit and an inspector must come out and see the animal. You have to also time this properly so the cerfified licensed and government approved livestock hauler who has been trained in animal welfare, animal health and animal rights will also be there since its illegal to move an animal yourself. You then, with all present, can load the animal up and haul it to the next county where the animal must sit on the trailer till that county's animal welfare agent must again inspect the animal and sign off on and verify the animal. Hauling to the stockyard is no different. Its a nightmare. My friend purchased some weanling pigs in Devon eight weeks ago and is waiting for delivery. I guess its holiday season and he's yet to be able to have them delivered. No big deal for him really since he isn't having to feed them at the moment but I suspect when they finally get around to delivering them he'll be getting hogs rather than piglets. I don't think we need a system anything like this no matter how good a system they tell us it is.

Jogeephus":3mpjomhc said:
pdfangus":3mpjomhc said:
how about this.....

And rightfully not. Rather deal with a single group of cattle thieves than a whole bunch of them in Washington. Just as the proponents of a national ID system boasted on the remarkable system they have in the United Kingdom some of us checked in on this for verification and found their system truly wanting. For bureacracy it is a wonderful job creator and gives them even more of your freedom so they can dole it out morsel at a time. For instance, if you need to move a cow from one county to the next you have to get a moving permit and an inspector must come out and see the animal. You have to also time this properly so the cerfified licensed and government approved livestock hauler who has been trained in animal welfare, animal health and animal rights will also be there since its illegal to move an animal yourself. You then, with all present, can load the animal up and haul it to the next county where the animal must sit on the trailer till that county's animal welfare agent must again inspect the animal and sign off on and verify the animal. Hauling to the stockyard is no different. Its a nightmare. My friend purchased some weanling pigs in Devon eight weeks ago and is waiting for delivery. I guess its holiday season and he's yet to be able to have them delivered. No big deal for him really since he isn't having to feed them at the moment but I suspect when they finally get around to delivering them he'll be getting hogs rather than piglets. I don't think we need a system anything like this no matter how good a system they tell us it is.

The idea behind all of that was kind of OK give the problems with Blue Tonge and foot and mouth etc, oooh and going back to the start of the passports for cattle. Every animal had to have a "papper passport" and this lead to headage payments at variouse life stages between birth and slaughter. There were quite a few farmers who hand al lot of animlas that wee only paper.

The real mess is jobs for goverment and a general feeling in the country that farmers are rich, and they do not need to grow food in the UK. The bublic perseption of farmers had improved as well.

Used to use google to map rented fields and draw maps so that thr crews and tractor drivers did not get lost.

I've been to the Eiffel tower and many other places on google earth,.I looked up my old stomping ground found my Grandmas house I hadn't seen in years, got up right in front of it-very cool, went to many cities and had some fun with this tool too.

GMN":37a6b33v said:
I've been to the Eiffel tower and many other places on google earth,.I looked up my old stomping ground found my Grandmas house I hadn't seen in years, got up right in front of it-very cool, went to many cities and had some fun with this tool too.
I went to the Eiffel Tower the other year but wouldn't go up it, the lift only takes you up so far then you have to walk the rest of the way, and as I hate heights I thought no way am I paying to be scared.
I like looking on Google earth though.