Goofy Question

Help Support CattleToday:

Jay

Reaction score
There's a feller up the road that has avaliable Brahma/Herford/Angus cross calves anwhere from 3-14 days old & is selling them. Prices range from $125-$165. First question is: Is there a particular name for this type of cross [besides crossbred]. Second question: Is this a Ok/good/bad price? I'm trying to figure out if these he picked up at a sale--I can't see anyone really getting rid of these calves; not coming from milker-type cows.....
My brother went to 4 different auctions in the San Antonio area this week & said most bottle calves were going for $1/lb on average--for whatever breed that were at the sale.
Thanks for any help...Jay

They are sometimes called super baldies, depends of the percentages.

Jay":3alcq24b said:
There's a feller up the road that has avaliable Brahma/Herford/Angus cross calves anwhere from 3-14 days old & is selling them. Prices range from $125-$165. First question is: Is there a particular name for this type of cross [besides crossbred]. Second question: Is this a Ok/good/bad price? I'm trying to figure out if these he picked up at a sale--I can't see anyone really getting rid of these calves; not coming from milker-type cows.....
My brother went to 4 different auctions in the San Antonio area this week & said most bottle calves were going for $1/lb on average--for whatever breed that were at the sale.

That's about what they are worth at that age. Could be worth more depending on how they look. The problem with calves that young is the stress of weaning that early. Takes a bit of hands on help. Not a bad deal if they don't have too much brahman influence. Maybe he just needs the cash?

Jay":1iy6ag7r said:

He selling them as orphans so you can put them on a cow that has lost her calf, you can also put 2 or three of them on a dairy cow. During the heart of the calving season around here calves week old calves bring as much as $250.

BLACKPOWER":3aoy683g said:
Jay":3aoy683g said:

He selling them as orphans so you can put them on a cow that has lost her calf, you can also put 2 or three of them on a dairy cow. During the heart of the calving season around here calves week old calves bring as much as $250.

Blackpower- Same thing around here- but this year they have even got a little more pricey. Last couple of sales they have been selling between $230- $325. Heard some in Miles City sold for $360. Probably averaging around $260. Some people must still have a lot of confidence in this falls calf prices.

Latest posts