Goodbye Big 12, Hello Pac 16?

Help Support CattleToday:

Alan

Reaction score
Seems that Nebraska and Missouri are looking to get out of the Big 12 to go to the Big 10 (making the Big 10 another Big 12??????). Which opens the door for the Pac 10 who has been wanting to expand to pursue 6 teams mostly from the big 12 making them the Pac 16 (texas, Texas A&M, OK and Ok state, Tex Tech, and either Colorado or Baylor). I assume if this gets approved it will be a few years down the road. I also assume that it's about money. I did here one report that a benifit for the Pac 10/16 is that with Texas in the same Conference as USC (they didn't mention Oregon :( :( ) tht the pairing will help the west coast teams get better coverage on the east coast (the time difference kills the pac 10 for east coast viewing... it's hard to watch a non conference game that starts at 10 pm). Not sure how I feel about it, but two things really stick out at first;

First is hopfully it will bring the fans one step closer to a college football play off system and get rid of the dammmmmm BCS.
Second and on my mind the most is the my beloved Ducks will have to go up against my sweeties beloved Aggies on a bit of a regualr basis...... that won't be good no matter what happens. :shock:

Here's a link, any thoughts?
Alan

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/b ... aaf,245965

Yeah it's always money Alan...you can count on that. Don't worry about your Ducks when they come to Aggieland. We're not much of a threat to anyone these days. I would not look forward to playing UT very often tho...they seldom have an off year...just reload every year. (Sure makes it easy to hate'em). lol

TexasBred said:
Yeah it's always money Alan...you can count on that. Don't worry about your Ducks when they come to Aggieland. We're not much of a threat to anyone these days. I would not look forward to playing UT very often tho...they seldom have an off year...just reload every year. (Sure makes it easy to hate'em). lol[

Hmmmmm.if I didnt know better I would say ol TexasBred is doing a little Bear Bryant or Darrel Royal imitation....... The Aggies should have one of the best years they have had in a while...It should be a horse race between Texas, A&M and Nebraska for the Big 12...........Yea Mack has reloaded, but I think next year they may be a bit off, while they get the kinks out of the new kids. Look out 2012, that may be a national championship run year. HookEm Horns!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

well if it happens I'm sure it well be a few years down the road. But I'm mostly with Texasbred on this one.... I do like the Aggies (although they are much better then he led on to be)..... but with my wife, if the Ducks win.... I lose.... If the Aggies win... I lose. Which is the better evil? :lol:

BTW houstoncutter, glad to see another College ball fan on the boards.... although the Horns are one of the teams I love to hate.... but not as much a the sooners! Can't wait, even if I have a few months to go.

Alan

I figure what always happens will continue. Missouri will make some noise, and probably end up in Conference USA, or some other mid-major. Unfortunatly, I think the Big12 is gonna' be a thing of the past. Texas has too much power and the rest of the conference is tired of it. Personally, the best time was the old Big 8 conference in basketball, Norm Stewart, Billy Tubbs, and the rest of the coaches I can't name at this moment, were classics. Remember Billy getting on the mic at Norman and telling the students,"Please don't throw things on the floor, no matter how bad the officating has become." Tweet, techiancal, 2 shots. We went to Okla. and the students shouted, "Sit down, Norm," over and over. I could go on and on, that was good times. gs

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/news/story?id=5251329

Not only is it all about money, it's all about FOOTBALL money. I find it interesting that Kansas could be left out in the cold even though they have one of the top basketball programs in the country. Programs like that are money makers, but nothing compared to what a big time football program brings to the table.

Being in Big Ten country, that's what I've heard the most about. The other stuff kind of caught me by surprise. I do know that the Big Ten wants another team, preferably Notre Dame, so they can have two six team divisions and a football championship game like the Big 12 and the SEC have. More money for everyone. Notre Dame would probably join in all sports except football--same deal they have now in the Big East. They rake in a ton in football money each year, including their own national TV contract, and they don't want to share it with other conference members. Problem is that's why the Big Ten wants Notre Dame......for the football money, so they're at an impasse on that.

Now the big rumor going around is that the Big Ten wants Texas, but Texas won't go anywhere without A&M and maybe Texas Tech, and the Big Ten doesn't want to go that far. Another rumor is that Missouri wants in the Big Ten so bad they can taste it, but the Big Ten would rather have a bigger name if they can get it. Personally, I think Missouri would be a great fit. I've also heard schools like Nebraska, Pitt, Syracuse, Rutgers, and Cincinnati mentioned.

Anyway, whatever happens it's gonna feel strange to someone who grew up watching Big Ten sports. I still haven't gotten used to Penn State, and they've been in the conference since the early 90's.

Hey Alan: Maybe after all this shakes out your Ducks and my Illini will end up playing for some conference champioship someday!! :lol2:

houstoncutter":3hog1nq0 said:
TexasBred":3hog1nq0 said:
Yeah it's always money Alan...you can count on that. Don't worry about your Ducks when they come to Aggieland. We're not much of a threat to anyone these days. I would not look forward to playing UT very often tho...they seldom have an off year...just reload every year. (Sure makes it easy to hate'em). lol[

Hmmmmm.if I didnt know better I would say ol TexasBred is doing a little Bear Bryant or Darrel Royal imitation....... The Aggies should have one of the best years they have had in a while...It should be a horse race between Texas, A&M and Nebraska for the Big 12...........Yea Mack has reloaded, but I think next year they may be a bit off, while they get the kinks out of the new kids. Look out 2012, that may be a national championship run year. HookEm Horns!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Houston...we could suit up the Saints in Aggie uniforms and still figure out some way to lose. :cry2: And the horns are never in a rebuilding year. The freshmen can beat most schools. Oh well, what the heck. When the Horns are in a bowl game even I can dig deep down and root for them. :nod:

Van I'm still looking for the old Southwest Conference. ;-) But money does talk....and football revenue pretty much supports all other athletic programs in a school so I can see why all the talk of moving. Remind me a lot of politics.

TexasBred said:
Yeah it's always money Alan...you can count on that. Don't worry about your Ducks when they come to Aggieland. "We're not much of a threat to anyone these days." Good morning. Woo I don't know about that. Ya'll have some talent and you know that. :) I'm just tickled that we don't have to deal with Nebraska this year! They might have just been peaking last year but looks to me like they got a coach and still know how to play football.

Nebraska made you guys really work for it last year. They should do ok in the Big 10-11-12 ???.....I'm just glad that what's left of the Big 12 stayed together.

Looks like Colo is for sure going to the Pac-10 that's OK with me I could care less about CU football but they're saying it could lead to CU bringing back the Baseball program. Now that's sumthin to get excited about. :banana: I suppose a wrasslin team would be too much to hope for :frowns:

3waycross":kbu9fkip said:
Looks like Colo is for sure going to the Pac-10 that's OK with me I could care less about CU football but they're saying it could lead to CU bringing back the Baseball program. Now that's sumthin to get excited about. :banana: I suppose a wrasslin team would be too much to hope for :frowns:

A few years ago the Oregon State Beavers brought home the baseball national championship, so a couple of years later the Oregon Ducks brought back baseball, built a new stadium.... but cut their wrestling program completely. Pac 10 or 12 has a pretty good baseball program..... and how can you not like college football! :shock: :lol:

Alan

Alan":355z6tcm said:
3waycross":355z6tcm said:

A few years ago the Oregon State Beavers brought home the baseball national championship, so a couple of years later the Oregon Ducks brought back baseball, built a new stadium.... but cut their wrestling program completely. Pac 10 or 12 has a pretty good baseball program..... and how can you not like college football! :shock: :lol:

Alan

I love College football. I don't like CU.

It's good to know, so when Colorado thumps my Ducks in the next few years I won't be getting any lip from you.... :lol:

Serousily though, it wasn't so many years ago Colorado play Oregon in (I think) the Feista bowl while a Nebraska team that placed second in the Big 12 played Miami for the national championship. Oregon was ranked #2 in the nation and the BCS screwed both Colorado and the Ducks...... It's kinda like the on side kick during the Ducks Sooners game that cost the Sooners a chance at the National Championship...I just can't get over it after all these years,neither can Sooner fans. Man I love the BCS! :mad:

Alan