Good Varmit Rifle?

Help Support CattleToday:

yeah sorry, i meant no scope. guess that's what happens when you don't pay attention in the middle of the night huh? boy, i gotta get more sleep. :roll:

Craig-TX":12d9n781 said:
cowgirl580":12d9n781 said:
i like the SKS for closer objects since it doesn't have sights... the sights are not something i want

I don't understand???

ya might already know this but, an SKS is a military rifle. holds 10 rounds or so and is a semi-automatic. they are either a chinese model or...hmm, japanese i think is the other one. it works out to be about the same as a .270 i think.

Running Arrow Bill":3jl3kgtg said:
We own several guns and periodically practice. Ok.

What is a "good" varmit rifle for 4 legged critters that is higher calibre than a .22? Shells that do not have a "5 mile range", but types that do their job without excessive range?

My 20 ga pump is good up to 50' or so; however, not much use for varmit distance (stray tomcats, badgers, etc.) Our other guns more suited for other uses...

Thanks!

While all the guns mentioned ( .223, .243, 6mm, 308, etc ) are all great guns and will take care of any varment, Bill was asking for something with a "limited range". I've got to agree with Chuck and a few others, a .22 mag. ( my choice ) the .17 cal. or the new .204 that Ruger makes will take out any varmint that Bill mentioned, Tomcat, badgers etc. I've taken a few yotes with my .22 Mag and a small hog ( ~100 lbs. ), it's all about shot placement. My Marlin with scope is deadly out past 100 yds. and it doesn't cost a arm & a leg for a box of ammo.
;-)

I like the Browning .223 with the oversize barrell, whistle pigs dont have a chance out to 200 yards. Now if the digging little B, well you know, is over 200 yards or we are talking wild dogs or cyoties (?) I reach for ole #7. A Browning 7mm mag. If you can see him, he's meat.

Latest posts