good tractors in the 40-60HP range

Help Support CattleToday:

Nesikep

Reaction score
we're in the market for a good tractor in the 40-60 HP range, only needs to be 2 WD, thinking of around $6000-$8000.. we have a MF 165, but it has no lugging power, I heard the 245's were really good... we need something that can handle a 9ft swather on hilly ground with a heavy crop (our grass often grows to nearly 5 1/2 ft with alfalfa underneath), we have a line on a JD 2130 i believe (82HP turbo) that needs a new engine, but that's getting big for our daily use, and we have the County super6 if we really need to pull something heavy. we currently use our Yanmar built JD 950 (28 PTO hp) with a 7 1/2 ft swather, and it manages, though it has a bit a hard time on hot days. we want a true live PTO (no double clutch), decent hydraulics, and a low stance (getting off an old Case 100 times to turn a bale over gets wearysome).. it should also have a 12 speed tranny, the MF 165 is 3+Rx2. with a half speed, the problem is, the right speed for swathing is on a half-speed, and it has no engine braking at all then, which means you have to ride the brakes on the down hills.. not good

Anyone have some models to look out for?

Massey puts out a wide variety of 12 speeds and you might check the Case line of tractors too.

Kubotas have worked well for me. The older John Deeres were good but some of the new ones leave a bit to be desired...including a lot of money for that green paint! The Masseys are pretty good especially the ones with a Perkins engine. The Kubotas actually beat the Massys on price, better warranty etc. Get a good dealer close to you and Massys are still a good deal. My local Massey dealer is not very good.

remember here I'm looking for a used tractor, and there are very few tractor dealers around here.. a LOT of the ones they have been used on dairy farms for mucking out, and that we have found is going to cause a short life for rims, seals, etc...

I think one of the Case tractors I used to run at a place was a 575? 585?, about 60HP, 2wd

Also, most dealers will try and sell you what they have.. which is why I ask here what models could be good :)

Thanks for the input so far anyhow

I bought a used massey 240 last year and really like it, but then again it was a giant improvement on the to50.

green tractors are way overpriced.an the MFs are overpriced as well.used masseys sale for half of what a new 1 cost.

This isnt exactly what you're looking for...but I personally love my AC D-17. Made in the early 60's, 52 HP, it only has 4 gears with high/low hand clutch. So, the PTO isnt truly live. This is probably not a fan favorite, but I grew up with it so I'm used to it. Hydraulics are average. In the summertime, it can handle a 9ft haybine with no problem, run the square baler pulling a full load if need be(use the JD 4020 normally), use it in the fall to transport/unload gravity boxes of ear corn. And in the winter time, throw the chains on and get thru the woods with relative ease to get firewood cut. And you can get one for half the price you're willing to spend! Just thought I'd throw that out there...I realize I'm probably one of the last remaining souls who still likes and runs an ole Allis Chalmers!

buckmaster33":1ghamw1a said:
This isnt exactly what you're looking for...but I personally love my AC D-17. Made in the early 60's, 52 HP, it only has 4 gears with high/low hand clutch. So, the PTO isnt truly live. This is probably not a fan favorite, but I grew up with it so I'm used to it. Hydraulics are average. In the summertime, it can handle a 9ft haybine with no problem, run the square baler pulling a full load if need be(use the JD 4020 normally), use it in the fall to transport/unload gravity boxes of ear corn. And in the winter time, throw the chains on and get thru the woods with relative ease to get firewood cut. And you can get one for half the price you're willing to spend! Just thought I'd throw that out there...I realize I'm probably one of the last remaining souls who still likes and runs an ole Allis Chalmers!
Naw Buckmaster I have a d-15 gas that I leave at dad so he can put out a bale of hay or haul wood with and I also have a 170diesel with the perkins in it my wife loves it and it only has 2800 hrs on it can rake hay for 2 days on 12 gal of fuel we don't use it much any more been thinking of selling it but I won't be cheap :lol:

Allis chalmers was a great company, especially when it came to specialty stuff like the row croppers.. we have a small (3 ft swath) combine from allis chalmers "All Crop Harvester" that we completely restored, then we found another that we will maybe restore next year...

I wouldn't be opposed to having an antique (yes, it is) tractor for pulling hay wagons, etc (we have a 60's Leyland 154 gas for the hay), but when it comes to haying for a long time, and trying to efficiently do work, I'm thinking mid 70's technology is about as old as I want to go, but it's not in the books to look for much stuff newer than 1990ish.. I heard the Massey 245 was a decent machine, looking for similar things from other brands, etc

Nesikep":32z7zuix said:
Allis chalmers was a great company, especially when it came to specialty stuff like the row croppers.. we have a small (3 ft swath) combine from allis chalmers "All Crop Harvester" that we completely restored, then we found another that we will maybe restore next year...

I wouldn't be opposed to having an antique (yes, it is) tractor for pulling hay wagons, etc (we have a 60's Leyland 154 gas for the hay), but when it comes to haying for a long time, and trying to efficiently do work, I'm thinking mid 70's technology is about as old as I want to go, but it's not in the books to look for much stuff newer than 1990ish.. I heard the Massey 245 was a decent machine, looking for similar things from other brands, etc
the 170 AC of mine was built in the 70s the D-15 was built in the early 60s
Only problems I know of with the Masseys is weak hydraulics
The 245 was built from 75-83

a loader would be nice on this next tractor, but we also find that having a loader on it beats it up pretty good, lot more wear and tear on the steering, any massey 165 that has had a loader is garbage

not far from us there is a green machine, currently with 0 HP, a rebuilt engine had a loose rod bolt which it ejected violently, the price is decent ($3000 CDN).. I can't remember the exact model number, but it was a 83HP turbo, which was basically the same engine as some of it's smaller siblings with 60 and 70 HP... I'm thinking it was a 6130.. lets say you get it running for 3000, you do have a decent machine for 6000, it would be possible that we'd sell it, ot we might trade our JD950 for it

block is salvagable, will need new conn rod, piston, and 1 journal on the crank turned, so it's not an entire rebuild... the engine had just been rebuilt

Stocker Steve":2ztkdjp5 said:
How about a 52 hp. IH 574??? There are quite a few around this country. Many are used as loader tractors.

I will second that, I have 2 684's (62 HP ) one 4WD, one 2WD both with loaders. I am very pleased with them.