good tractors in the 40-60HP range

Help Support CattleToday:

My only tractor is a 1975 Allis 175. Bought it with 1100 hrs. It now has 2300hrs. Has factory canopy, frt end loader. It's far more stable than most newer tractors, rides well. It is 63 hp. I pull a 10ft bush hog. Transport two 6x5 round bales all winter long. Needless to say I love it and won't be changing tractors until something major happens.

I have heard good things about the IH 574's

also considering a ford 3000..

this one http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/grd/986665181.html
he's dropped the price 1500 already, and I figure if he goes down a little more I'll call him and see what the hours on it are like

and I might know of another with a siezed engine for parts

we have a 7 1/2 foot NH haybine sicklebar mower/conditioner which is about the most power consuming thing we have, and our 28HP JD950 (yanmar) pulled that for years, though it was hard work for it, our baler has it's own engine, so you're only pulling it

what I'd really like to know about the ford 3000, as well as the 574 are the PTO, are they truly live PTOs? IE, like the massey 165, or do you have to clutch, etc

Nesikep":37vtaxit said:
I have heard good things about the IH 574's

also considering a ford 3000..

this one http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/grd/986665181.html
he's dropped the price 1500 already, and I figure if he goes down a little more I'll call him and see what the hours on it are like

and I might know of another with a siezed engine for parts

we have a 7 1/2 foot NH haybine sicklebar mower/conditioner which is about the most power consuming thing we have, and our 28HP JD950 (yanmar) pulled that for years, though it was hard work for it, our baler has it's own engine, so you're only pulling it

what I'd really like to know about the ford 3000, as well as the 574 are the PTO, are they truly live PTOs? IE, like the massey 165, or do you have to clutch, etc

I don't know about the ford, but the IH 574 is truly live independent PTO.

The Ford 3000 has the 2 stage clutch on the pto, they call it live power but it is not independent pto.

Case IH 585 and 685 were good machines, engines smoke a bit but generally run well with enough power and, more importantly weight to power. Hydraulics are basic and the electrical system sucks big time.

JD 2350 / 2355 is another that is heavy enough with enough HP with the added benefit of a very tight turning circle. Engines and transmissions are bulletproof. Major problems we've found involve hydraulics, lack of pressure when the oils hot but this can be alleviated by plugging or retricting a port in the hydraulic control valve under the top cover. Don't like cold starting too well though.

NH build a pretty useful new machine now that is generally priced right.

Personally, I would look at others besides Massey's. The Perkins engines are good, but for the money I think there is better. My father-in-law has a 275, and it seems like it's always got something wrong with it. A friend who has both Massey and Ford isn't even considering Massey in his search for another tractor. I think John Deere's are fine, but too pricey around here to consider. I would think more along the line of international, case, ford, or maybe allis(although my experience with them is limited). Just my $.02.

Latest posts