good time to buy some bred cows?

Help Support CattleToday:

aerow27

Reaction score
I currently have 21 cows

I would like to get more, just not sure if not is the best time to buy.

I found a group of 42 red angus cross bred for april. $2450 a head

All cows are 3-7 years old

I have run all the numbers and unless feeders go below 1.60 per hundred I shouldn't loose money

What do some or you think about buying cows now?

I'll look into my magic crystal ball...

Typically cow prices are better in the fall because no one wants to feed them over the winter.. I expect cow prices to be going up from now until spring. I can't say with certainty what the markets will do, but I don't see a sharp fall in prices for some time.. and perhaps never. If they're good cows and you get an average of 4 or 5 calves from them and the market stays decent, I guess they would be a good buy now. If you buy the whole lot, calve them out, and sell a bunch as 3 in 1's, you can probably make a fair bit of money back.

It's all a crapshoot.. my guess is probably as good as anyones

I know it could turn out great or I could loose my a$$. All depends on the market

Just hopping for some insight from those with more experience then me.

Good part for me is if they only cover their own expenses I don't need the income from them to live.

That's what my real job is for!

I am hopeful that the feeder market is going to stay good for the next couple of years, but who knows.

Thanks

They would like to sell them all as one group.

My plan would be to buy the lot, calve them out, then sell the ones I don't like a bred cows this fall.

I thought that way I get to actually see how the cow performs before I sort them out.

giving $2450 for the cows itll take 3 calves to pay for them no matter how you look at it.providing the older cows will last 3 calves.everytime i go a sale i expect to pay $4000 to $6000 for reg bred cows or pairs.and sometimes that price dont get it done.

Bred cow market has softened here since mid December. Cows are cheaper now than they were in November. The down trend in calf and milk prices has spooked some people.

That price seems too high right now. Top young bred cows at the last sales went $2050 to $2350. Common went $1750 to 2000. BM or aged went $1500 to 1700.

A friend of mine bought a load of 1430# BM cows for $1610, and projects selling them for $1475 after 2 calves. How does that profit estimate compare when you run the numbers? Don't accept break even.

he let me sort out the ones I liked

I got 30 hd

only time will tell if it was a good choice or not

Good luck with your cows. A lot depends on what it will cost you to run them for a year. It your costs aren't too high and the market holds you could calf them out and come fall if prices stay up sell the ones you don't like and retain the best heifers for yourself.

If you have the money to pay for them, a place to put them and something they can eat, I think it's always a ok time to buy, if you wait around for a better time you'll just be missing out more times than not.

What are these red cows bred to?

They should have nice calves. if I had a bunch of red angus cows I think I would breed them to a Charolais and a Hereford.