Good thing about living on the top of a ridge

Help Support CattleToday:

dun

Reaction score
fog1.jpg

fog2.jpg

fog3.jpg

fog4.jpg

Another advantage is you can see The Law coming to get you long before they get there. :lol:

Seriously, beautiful pics and scenery. I can imagine walking out on the front porch first thing every morning, drinking a cup of coffee while surveying your kingdom. Life is good.

Do you get much wind? We live on a hill, too, but here in OK the wind blows most of the year and sometimes I wish we were in a hole.

Very nice-relaxing. I agree, looks like you could just set back and watch the world go by.

Frankie":1ner3zaq said:
Do you get much wind? We live on a hill, too, but here in OK the wind blows most of the year and sometimes I wish we were in a hole.

When it blows, it really blows. Most of the time ti's more of a breeze. If the wind is really whipping I just work on the opposite side of the ridge from the wind. The ridge the house is on runs east and west and the winds are typically fomr the north or south.
It's nothing like the desert where it blew everyday and 15-20 mph was considered a gentle breeze

dun

dun":2dfjam17 said:
When it blows, it really blows. Most of the time ti's more of a breeze. If the wind is really whipping I just work on the opposite side of the ridge from the wind. The ridge the house is on runs east and west and the winds are typically fomr the north or south.
It's nothing like the desert where it blew everyday and 15-20 mph was considered a gentle breeze

dun

Do you have bugs in the summer, Dun?

When we were looking for the farm, I thought it would be nice to have one of those places tucked up in a little hollow with a creek running through it. But the great thing for us about living on top of the ridge is that you can sit out on the porch after sunset in the summer and not be devoured by mosquitoes.

Of course, when it's -20 F and there is a NW wind, I pretty much have to camp out in the basement and throw wood to the furnace all night if I don't want to see my breath in the morning indoors! Sometimes on those nights I think about a valley farm.

badaxemoo":83mrrdkl said:
dun":83mrrdkl said:

dun

Do you have bugs in the summer, Dun?

When we were looking for the farm, I thought it would be nice to have one of those places tucked up in a little hollow with a creek running through it. But the great thing for us about living on top of the ridge is that you can sit out on the porch after sunset in the summer and not be devoured by mosquitoes.

Of course, when it's -20 F and there is a NW wind, I pretty much have to camp out in the basement and throw wood to the furnace all night if I don't want to see my breath in the morning indoors! Sometimes on those nights I think about a valley farm.

I'm not bothered by them and will sit outside at 3-3 in the morning. Seems most of them go to the bedroom to torment my wife. Them things love her but leave me alone. But she's a lot thinner skinned then I am.
Problem with this down in the holler farms is they're a cold magnet. May not get the wind but the cold settles into them.

dun

Jogeephus":1p7widg8 said:
In the bottoms where there are trees, are there creeks?

In one picture the river is in one of the bottoms, all of the others are just your typical Ozark hollers. Checked your pm lately?

dun

Great pics dun , sure looks like a pretty place to live .

Curious where you lived in the desert . What you say about the wind is SO true . Up here in northern AZ the wind blows all the time it seems like ... from one of those gentle breezes to a hurricane .

when the wind blows ... it sucks :lol:

Nice pics, dun. My farm's also on a bit of a hill, you can see a mile away to another place that's also on a bit of a hill.

Gets a bit cooler up here than down in the hollows, or where an old creek used to flow years ago, and a little breezy, depending on the different days. Mostly to keep them bloody mosquitoes away. And flies; they're worse than mosquitoes, mostly 'cause we got a number of dairy farms around, besides the just as many beef farms.

Dun,

When my tractor got old I used to park it on the hill. It was a good ole tractor but it was hard to get it started. That hill helped.

Looking at your pic I wonder if your wife didn't pick that spot up on the hill with getting you going in mind :shock: :lol:

Latest posts