Good show for us...

Help Support CattleToday:

Fire Sweep Ranch

Reaction score
We just got back from our National show, which was a week long in Des Moines, Iowa. We had a fantastic week, and the kids made lots of new friends. Our junior members from Missouri did extremely well with their cattle, so I was proud to be from this state. The national show had over 1000 head of cattle entered, and I heard we had 800 or so that showed up to show. There was more than 500 junior members competing in the many contests.
Our bred and owned heifer sired by HPF Optimizer placed 19th overall in a tough set of gorgeous heifers. We were super proud to be left standing in the top in the end. Here is her picture:
otn0w0.jpg

And our son was so happy he won, he put his ribbon on his stall sign
29fz538.jpg

Our other cattle placed well also. This is a March bred and owned heifer, she placed 3rd in her class out of many (I think 12).
24qo087.jpg

qosmld.jpg

He showed his heifers all day, since he made it to the final drive of 20. He and his girls were pretty tired by the end of the day...
mx23rk.jpg

This is our middle daughter showing one of her bred and owned heifers, Kat
2hqh4yb.jpg

Our oldest daughter showing her heifer in showmanship
30bk2ly.jpg

The kids working together to get them washed and blown... the middle washes while the other two dry
28ur902.jpg

Here are the girls relaxing in the stalls
2lc7dok.jpg

And, while we were away, Ron was taking care of things, including these...
50r52x.jpg

It sure is nice leaving the farm for more than a week and knowing that things at home are being taken care of. Ron was kind enough to come and take over breeding and taking care of my new puppies.
Our kids did great in the other contests also. The middle daughter placed 7th overall in cattlemen's quiz, 5th overall in cattle judging contest, was was the 12th high overall junior! The oldest daughter was 9th in Sales Talk, 6th in public speaking, and ended up 18th overall senior there! We are proud parents!
Two more big shows (a big district show, Ozark Empire Fair, and our State Fair) and our year of showing is just about over...

Thanks guys! We have a week to get rested, then off to our big district fair (Ozark Empire Fair) for 4 days. Then another week off, and we are out to State Fair for 4 more days! Phew, then school starts and back to my teaching schedule.... and show season is over, for the most part!

Sounds like a great week - congratulations! And good luck with the rest of your shows.

Our show season will just get started this weekend, then we'll have one or two every weekend but one for the next six weeks, then a couple weeks off then Oklahoma State Fair, and Tulsa a couple weeks after that.

Latest posts