Good news, Bad news

Help Support CattleToday:

S&K

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for all your input on Losing Calves. Same folks, new ID,just felt since we have a new herd, we needed a new image. Good News-one heifer is back with her mamma this morning- rear end looks dry :clap: Bad News- lost one & her mamma doesn't look good. Good news- most heifers will come to the sound of the Polaris (feed) Bad news- one jumped the fence sooooooo easy when pushed just a teeny bit. Good news- sunshine today Bad news- still one or two with dirty butts-couldn't catch em with a bear trap. Y'all having a good day?? Hope so

I guess coccidiosis has been ruled out with this problem you are having hasn't it S&K?

Well, Buck, the "scour mix" from the vet was formulated to hit e coli, salmonella and coccidea. The thing that seemed to work the best on the one I could catch was Albon from Phizer(sp?) and 5-way Scour from Agri Labs. Both boluses. She's not super frisky yet, but much better. The mamma of the one we lost is still draining fresh blood from her vulva, acting very depressed & off feed. We've tried to work her up to the barn, but the heifers get so spooked, we've not been succesful yet :mad: I'm thinking she's retained placenta or ??
I expected heifers to be sillier that our former Granny cows, but this is way more exciting that I would have dreamed. Suppose "That's Part Of It" :shock: "course we paid a premium for them expecting to keep them many years,shipping them to the sale barn is not my first choice... Thanks everybody for letting me whine...All done now & feeling better.

For your "wild" heifers, try putting out a little grain, and keep moving the feed closer to the barn/lot each time you feed. If they get to where they are coming into the lot to feed, you should be able to lock them up for short periods of time while you are working around the area/lot to get them calmed down. If they don't calm down, sorry, but unless you have the ability to "free range" raise their calves, you're in trouble. The wilder the cattle, the better your facilites must be. You have got to be able to CATCH cattle.
Now, on your cow. Don't know how long it's been since calving, but she sounds like she really needs getting caught up & checked. Will she follow you with a bucket of grain?

Jeanne, a handful are becoming quieter, and will generally come to feed. We tried bringing them all up with grain this morning (for a Long time ) and 1/2 will split off into the woods. I'm meanwhile carefully behind on the polaris, hazing them gently. They just refuse to follow the rest. Ah, yes. "I will ship the ones I can't catch" is a non issue right now. But we do have several penned, so are watching for the rest to come up soon-all the calves are with the renegades. Surely they will come looking for their mammas. Must stay positive. The cow in question calved on the 12th. She is still not well, our main objective is to move her to the chute, but she may just have to tough it-will not come up so far. (I hate that) I have Nuflor, Benamine & Pro Bios at the ready in hopes.

If you get the cattle used to ELECTRIC fence, you can put up temperary fence shaped in a V pattern towards the barn lot. If you get them started up the V, you might be able to keep them corraled, going in the right direction.
But if they are very wild, electric or not, they'll jump.

Latest posts