Good Log Splitter

Help Support CattleToday:

C-Ranch

Reaction score
Anyone have any hands on experience with the Country Line 40 Ton log splitter or the Rugged Made 37 Ton splitter? I need to replace my old log splitter (DR Rapid Fire) with something more reliable. The kinetic splitter from DR Power was good and fast the first few uses, but as time went on so did the problems with the handle linkage and the rack & pinion. Now it's time to split wood again, for two families, and I need something that is going to be reliable and worth something down the road. I have been searching far and wide for and have come across the two splitters mentioned above. The Country Line is sold through Tractor Supply and the Rugged Made is sold mostly online through the company and a few other online outlets. The Country Line is listed at $1899 and the Rugged Made is $3895 to $4200 depending on engine options and shipping charges. Anyways I am looking to see if anyone owns one or has used either of these or has a good alternative option. I don't want to spend more that $4K if possible but don't want a Home depot or Lowes brand either. I also like the Timber Wolf line but they are spendy...haha...All opinions welcome!!

I don't see how the Rugged Made would be worth twice as much, unless you really need to have the log lift. It's a handy thing to have, if you have a lot of big wood in your area. Trees here usually don't exceed 18", on the rare occasion that I get into some big stuff I can just run my splitter vertically and bust it into smaller pieces.

If you can get it, try to find one that has a pump disconnect. Splitters that don't can be a booger to start in the cold without one.

Cycle time is another thing to look at.

i have the dirty hand tools i think 37 ton splitter, bout it last yr and have split about 30 cords with it with zero problems, they have a very good customer service as well. i think i payed around 13-1400 for mine last yr. i would not bother with the add on 4 way wedge unless u splitting alot of same sizes softwoods. i have not found a single stick it hasnt went thru.

Ive used my troy bilt from lowes with the honda engine for several years , 27 ton, probably 30 rick per year , no complaints .

I hate to sound negative but im happy to keep the 2 grand in my pocket and use my 6 pound maul, im a logger and i burn wood and also sell wood. if it wont split with a maul i rip it with my 372 husqvarna, anything real ugly gets left in the woods and anything big gets put on the log truck and $old. splitters are always tearing up no matter what brand you buy

scf84":322zevfq said:
i have the dirty hand tools i think 37 ton splitter, bout it last yr and have split about 30 cords with it with zero problems, they have a very good customer service as well. i think i payed around 13-1400 for mine last yr. i would not bother with the add on 4 way wedge unless u splitting a lot of same sizes softwoods. i have not found a single stick it hasn't went thru.

Thanks for the info. I was just comparing the county Line with the dirty hand and they look a lot alike. I did notice that the wedge slides along an enclosed groove, have you had any issues with wood debris building up in the there or jamming up the ram/wedge?

MtnCows93":3r0228r9 said:
I hate to sound negative but im happy to keep the 2 grand in my pocket and use my 6 pound maul, im a logger and i burn wood and also sell wood. if it wont split with a maul i rip it with my 372 husqvarna, anything real ugly gets left in the woods and anything big gets put on the log truck and $old. splitters are always tearing up no matter what brand you buy

Spent many years splitting with ax, Maul and wedge before buying a splitter and still use the maul & wedge on some knotty pieces my splitter won't tackle. However, my back is at the point I need to do more with a splitter. It's heck getting old and uglier. :lol:

Sometimes you can find broke down new returns for sale at Home Depot or Lowes. Lots of folks can't work on anything including checking the oil. I bought mine that way and checked everything electrical on it, nothing wrong. Added less than a pint of oil and it's been running now for 8 years.

True Grit Farms":15elj7rg said:
Sometimes you can find broke down new returns for sale at Home Depot or Lowes. Lots of folks can't work on anything including checking the oil. I bought mine that way and checked everything electrical on it, nothing wrong. Added less than a pint of oil and it's been running now for 8 years.

I bought a county line last week from tsc. The one that you use the tractor remotes for a hydraulic source.
Regular price is 899.00
I paid 259.00
Never used. The control lever was missing from the spool valve. A small piece of flat bar, a nut and bolt and twenty minutes. Took care of that.

I bought a Swisher unit at a farm auction a few years ago, somewhere between 35 and 40 tons. I'm tickled with it.

C-Ranch":ahslni09 said:
scf84":ahslni09 said:
i have the dirty hand tools i think 37 ton splitter, bout it last yr and have split about 30 cords with it with zero problems, they have a very good customer service as well. i think i payed around 13-1400 for mine last yr. i would not bother with the add on 4 way wedge unless u splitting a lot of same sizes softwoods. i have not found a single stick it hasn't went thru.

Thanks for the info. I was just comparing the county Line with the dirty hand and they look a lot alike. I did notice that the wedge slides along an enclosed groove, have you had any issues with wood debris building up in the there or jamming up the ram/wedge?

i have had zero issues with it jamming with debris or any other problems for that matter. they are actually slot for the debris to come out of, probly just cant see them in the pics. it builds up a little dirt on the very end plate but nothing to affect its performance. i think you will be very happy with it, i am.

MtnCows93":3eogwj7m said:

that USED to be my thinking as well. we sell avg 100 4x8 rick of wood for the past 20yrs. it was all split with hammer up till last yr when i broke down and bout my splitter. my hands have got in such bad of shape that i cant hold out with the hammer for no more than a rick if im lucky then my hands hurt rest of the day. with the splitter i could split all day long if i wanted to.

scf84":303ms6gx said:
i have the dirty hand tools i think 37 ton splitter, bout it last yr and have split about 30 cords with it with zero problems, they have a very good customer service as well. i think i payed around 13-1400 for mine last yr. i would not bother with the add on 4 way wedge unless u splitting alot of same sizes softwoods. i have not found a single stick it hasnt went thru.
I also have that splitter. My only complaint is that is doesn't have a Honda on it. I still prefer a maul over the splitter, but it's handy for the tough stuff.

skyhightree1":3zb66zjm said:
Its a lot cheaper and easy to build a splitter to run off the back of your tractor hydraulics

Depends on the tractor, some don't have enough flow and take forever to cycle the big ram on a splitter.

Atimm693":33ng0j7d said:
skyhightree1":33ng0j7d said:
Its a lot cheaper and easy to build a splitter to run off the back of your tractor hydraulics

Depends on the tractor, some don't have enough flow and take forever to cycle the big ram on a splitter.

No slower than a splitter itself

Latest posts