Good Hay Weather

Help Support CattleToday:

Florida cattle

Reaction score
Finally had some good hay weather here in the Florida panhandle. Baled Monday and Tuesday after work and put up 30 5x5 rolls and 148 square bales Russell Bermuda (still have some left to bale this afternoon)
and 68 5x5 rolls of Tifton 9 Bahia (the bahia avg 4.25 bales to the acre)
I'll know what the bermuda did when I finish up this afternoon.

Got fresh dug peanuts from a friend today. They're soaking as I type.

As for the hay - grrrrrr! :mad: We found army worms Fri before last, so cut it that Saturday. Tropical depression = hay that was a week on the ground. Welcome to my world. At least our 1st cutting was fabulous.

And I'll add that a wet cutting of hay is still preferable to praying daily for drought relief. Amen!

I don't know what y'all problem is with cutting hay. I mean, we have been scrapping stuff that grew with the July rains before it totally dries up and dies. It has rained to the north, south, east,and west every afternoon for a week and hasn't put a drop on our ground or cut hay yet. Lost a splice link in a chain this afternoon with dark blue skies to the east this afternoon. It just rumbled on by like a freight train. Mad putting the chain back together nice. Was only about 88 instead of 98 at the time.

:)

Vette, since spitting on the sun, hanging snakes and boots on the fence hasn't worked for you I'd suggest you might want to consider changing churches. Or better yet, send me some cash and I'll be sure its put in the right plate. :D

Florida cattle":2bo07yx6 said:
I'll know what the bermuda did when I finish up this afternoon.

Did you get rained on this afternoon. We had some unexpected clouds come in and mess up a few hayfields in the county but most of it was already rolled.

jo started to sprinkle as i was puting the last rolls of bermuda under the barn. then the bottom fell out and we got 1 1/2" in about an hour.

Farmwriter the field of bermuda I baled i found worms in about 2 acre section 2 weeks ago. Sprayed about lunch after I found them. The leaves had already come back pretty good by cutting.
I will say that is one plus to Bahia is that the armyworms don't pay it any attention.

Jo the bermuda did 37 5x5 rolls and 148 square bales (18 acres 3rd cutting this summer) not bad for a field that was sprigged in a drought last year and was almost taken over by crowfoot grass by the end of last summer.

Florida cattle":2tx9gmtq said:
Farmwriter the field of bermuda I baled i found worms in about 2 acre section 2 weeks ago. Sprayed about lunch after I found them. The leaves had already come back pretty good by cutting.
I will say that is one plus to Bahia is that the armyworms don't pay it any attention.
Yep, and it takes dry weather pretty well. As aggrivating as that stuff can be, it has its merits, too.

I cut and rolled one of my brothers small fields a couple of weeks ago. He had called me and asked me what "those little worms" in the field were....... :mrgreen:

I went down and looked at it and those little buggers had stripped half of the field clean already. Went ahead and cut it down instead of spraying it, let it dry for a couple of days, and rolled up all 6 and 1/2 bales of it.

This is a field that has been heavily fertilized. We normally get 40+ rolls out of it.

We're getting rain about every evening now, so I'm waiting on a good few days before I make my final cut. Since the nights are starting to get cooler, grass growing days are just about over.

I like baling hay in the fall best!

grannysoo fall baling for me means peanut hay (glad I have a cab tractor :) ) I bale it from a friend who rowcrops but does not have any cows. Last year I put 450 rolls under barn of some of the best peanut hay I've baled the past couple of years. A lot of leaf in it and no rain on the vines.

This year it looks like I will have to weave in another cutting of bermuda and bahia in with rolling peanut hay.

Farmwriter I'm like JO, I like to have more than one type of hay never know when you'll need it.
I've never tried to put all my eggs in one basket ;-)

Florida cattle":14ahjpnu said:
not bad for a field that was sprigged in a drought last year and was almost taken over by crowfoot grass by the end of last summer.

Don't know what the TDN is of crowfoot but it sure does make some pretty hay. :nod:

Florida cattle":wx4tmyzs said:
grannysoo fall baling for me means peanut hay (glad I have a cab tractor :) ) I bale it from a friend who rowcrops but does not have any cows. Last year I put 450 rolls under barn of some of the best peanut hay I've baled the past couple of years. A lot of leaf in it and no rain on the vines.

I'm hoping to be able to put my greedy little fingers on some of that too. I normally roll a few hundred of these a year, but no one has any planted around me this year. It was so late, everyone planted cotton. I don't think that would make good hay....

we cut about 15acs before our custom baler quit on us.an got 45 5 by 6 rolls off it.an panning on cutting it again next tues along with 45acs thats belly deep next tues if it dont rain.im ready to get the yrs hay done an stacked.

Jo I do know crowfoot is in the same family as crabgrass, seems to be a little harder to cure though. The hay I baled off of it last year the cows ate it with no problem.

Grannysoo a lot less peanuts around here but my buddy has enough planted to cover me ;-)
but I've also been trying to get some of his cotton seed too I figure with some soy hulls, peanut hay, and some corn I might be able to fatten a yearling or two :cboy:

Latest posts