Good grief, here we go again

Help Support CattleToday:

tncattle

Reaction score
If you read my post about the steers that ran into the woods and how I got them back by putting the older bigger ones in with them--they are in there again. Yesterday, I went to feed all of them as they were in the correct pasture, it hot gotten hot by the time I got there and they were really far from the corral and didn't want to come. So I thought Okay I'll just come back the late that afternoon. The lady that lives there (very nice) went out in the pasture on her horse and tried to get them to come up to the corral and 8 did and the other 3 ran like deer through the fence into the woods. So I turned the other 8 back into the woods hoping for the same outcome as the first time. Well, yesterday late afternoon only the 8 came up to the corral for feed and this morning only the 6 older ones came. Should I just keep feeding them and be patient? And no horses!

Id keep feeding them and don't Chase them. If you are gonna use horses use dogs also . Be sure you can catch them if you decide to use horses and dogs . And id leave them in the pen for a couple weeks before I turned them back out . Because once they find out they can go through the fence . They won't stop.

JSCATTLE":3r9xmp59 said:
Id keep feeding them and don't Chase them. If you are gonna use horses use dogs also . Be sure you can catch them if you decide to use horses and dogs . And id leave them in the pen for a couple weeks before I turned them back out . Because once they find out they can go through the fence . They won't stop.

That's just it, if they're not being chased by a horse they won't go near the hotwire but when they get scared from the horse they run like deer. When they are in with the older ones they just graze and hang with them.

So the lady was just riding and scared them . I wild try and keep. Them in the pen and feed them everyday . Stand close to thier trough until they come up to you to eat . When I raise heifers that's how I tame them .when they first come out of the pasture off mom they will run to the other end of the corral . But after about a week they will let me pet them or at least sniff the bucket when Im feeding . I can turn them out in the pasture and when I go out there with a bucket they come running .and my cattle run in the woods so they don't see people much unless they are being worked . So they aren't tame calves when I bring them in.

No she tried to round them up much to my dismay. She was only trying to help and is really a nice lady but the younger steers are just too scared for that. Hopefully they will hook by up with the older ones and come on in. This morning I had to go into the woods and find the older ones and they followed me back almost a half mile to the feed trough with the bucket of feed. I think the younger ones were close by but just wouldn't come this time. I didn't try to push them but will let them come on in on their terms.

tncattle":178kx40y said:
No she tried to round them up much to my dismay. She was only trying to help and is really a nice lady but the younger steers are just too scared for that. Hopefully they will hook by up with the older ones and come on in. This morning I had to go into the woods and find the older ones and they followed me back almost a half mile to the feed trough with the bucket of feed. I think the younger ones were close by but just wouldn't come this time. I didn't try to push them but will let them come on in on their terms.
It ain't gonna do any good to feed the older ones a half mile away. Once you find them dump the feed on the ground if you have too and turn around and walk out. Give the younger ones time to get used to the feed every day and to know that you aren't going to chase them. Eventually you should have them all coming to the feed and they will start looking for you. By then you will be closer to the fence and you can dump it on your side.

They all came into the corral this evening except one when I fed them. So I went back out the corral gate and stood out in the pasture about 50 yards away and finally the smallest one went in. They're not really that wild they just don't like to be chased by horses. They will follow me with the bucket when they are all together. I left them in the corral and will feed them in the morning and just hang out with them for awhile.

tncattle":2nftmmk0 said:
I left them in the corral and will feed them in the morning and just hang out with them for awhile.

Hanging out with them a little while everyday helps alot, you don't even have to feed them, though it speeds up the process. I can literally walk right up in amongst mine and step over them if they're laying down. Some I can pet but some won't let me touch them, but I can still walk right up on them and stand beside them all. And they didn't get that trust from feeding.

Yes keep them in the yard and mill around doing things like picking up manure for your garden or whatever.

I hope you have a hotwire around the outside so they can actually learn what it is.

It takes time but the calves will begin to actually accept you as part of the herd. It amazes me to watch my son who manages my farm. He can walk right up to any of the cows or calves and they just look at him like where is the feed. A stranger anywhere near and even the old cows are like see ya!! Glad you got them back. I would definitely keep them up a few weeks all of them until they are accustomed to you and trained to that bucket!!

Latest posts