Good Folks at a Bad Time

Help Support CattleToday:

Rafter S

Reaction score
My father-in-law hasn't been doing well, so they called in hospice yesterday. He didn't want to die in the hospital, so the hospice team moved heaven and earth to get him moved from the Tomball hospital to a 7-person care facility in Magnolia yesterday afternoon. We couldn't have asked for better people throughout that ordeal.

Then this morning while I was getting dressed for work my wife got the call that he was gone. I drove her there, and we waited until the hospice nurse got there to pronounce him dead and call the funeral home to come get him. We left then, because my wife didn't need to be there to see them load him, but everyone was a big help, especially to my wife.

She wanted to go by her father's house to check on some things, so we headed that way. Stopped at the IHOP between Montgomery and Conroe for breakfast. Of course my wife was on the phone with various people the whole time. Apparently she was overheard, because shortly before our food arrived our waitress stopped by our table and said that a young lady who had been sitting two or three tables away (and who neither of us had noticed) had covered our check. The waitress had also overheard, and stopped by our table later to offer her prayers and condolences. In spite of what you'd think from the news that we're bombarded with, the world is full of good, compassionate people.

I'm sorry to hear of the loss of your FIL. Hospice is a Godsend!

As for the IHOP encounters, not enough of this kind of thing is talked about, both in the news or on social media. I agree with you, there are still MANY good people out there, doing their good things, daily.

You and your wife have my condolences.

Sorry to hear his passing Rafter, but uplifting to hear of the actions of those in IHOP.
Remembering your 'baby on the way' thread, I've often found it true that one leaves the world and our families & another comes in to take his place.

Sorry for your family's loss. There are still good people in this world the news just doesn't talk about good things.

Sorry for your loss and prayers of comfort for your family. Hospice was a great help when we brought my dad to my house from the hospital. Those people are the best.

I really appreciate all the prayers and condolences. He was very fortunate. He was 88, and still living alone and driving wherever he wanted to go up until about a month ago.

Like everyone has been saying, there's still good people out there. You just don't hear about them. For two reasons : if they do something good for the right reason they don't want the credit, and the news don't cover the good things.

My thoughts and prayers for you and your family.

Sorry for your loss and there is some folks out here that were raised correctly and I like seeing and hearing about it.

Rafter, I seen lots of the same after Hurricane Harvey. People everywhere helping people. I think it's a TX thing because I'm pretty sure it ain't that way here. Sorry for your family's loss.

kenny thomas":1t5ut3wi said:
Rafter, I seen lots of the same after Hurricane Harvey. People everywhere helping people. I think it's a TX thing because I'm pretty sure it ain't that way here. Sorry for your family's loss.

I have very little experience with people outside Texas, but I'd hate to think that's just a Texas thing. Maybe it's a little more prevalent in Texas. I've heard that holding the door for other people isn't routinely done in some places, but it's common here. I've even heard that in some places ladies are offended if a man holds a door for them, but I'm as likely to hold the door for another man as for a woman. To me it's just the polite thing to do.

Rafter S":17prywwg said:
kenny thomas":17prywwg said:

I have very little experience with people outside Texas, but I'd hate to think that's just a Texas thing. Maybe it's a little more prevalent in Texas. I've heard that holding the door for other people isn't routinely done in some places, but it's common here. I've even heard that in some places ladies are offended if a man holds a door for them, but I'm as likely to hold the door for another man as for a woman. To me it's just the polite thing to do.
There are nice people everywhere but I travel from Florida to Canada and west to the Rocky's. Good people helping each other most places, some much more than others. Most of my work is in wildfires and disasters so I see the best in people. You should be very proud of your fellow Texans.

Sorry for your loss and yes, Hospice people are really angels on earth. And yes, there are really nice decent good people everywhere if we only take a minute to look.

Latest posts