Good fertilizer study

Help Support CattleToday:

Grasshopper was mentioned earlier. We have used Grasshopper in past years on our Bermuda grasses with success. I won't say that it was as stout as 400lbs of ammonium nitrate just before a rain, but it did the job.

We applied Grasshopper Fertilizer on wheat and soybeans this year for the first time. We usually use Starter on the wheat and later topdress with 100 lbs of urea or 150 lbs of 32% UAN. This year, we replaced our current topdress with Grasshopper's 44-0-0 plus micros. The results were mixed, largely due to poor conditions. I may try it again next year.

However, our soybeans are looking great. We applied their 20-20-20 with our glyphosate application. So far, we have more root mass, greater nodulation and 20% more pods. We will see how they turn out.

Sounds like a pretty typical study used to discredit organic type fertilizers. Use a crop with a high N requirement and for 1 year; compare it to Something that is designed to stimulate soil bacteria and organisms to release nutrients already there over a period of time.

This type of thinking treats the soil as an inert media that is there only to hold the nutrients placed there at great expense and sucked out of the soil by the university developed N siphoning plant. The acidulated fertilizer also burns the worms and organisms present so no help is gotten from them.

Organic or natural producers would never do it the way the experiment was set up, a rotation would provide the N for the crop that needed so much of it. This whole setup is extremely disingenuous :roll:

KMacGinley":2s1nliez said:
Sounds like a pretty typical study used to discredit organic type fertilizers. Use a crop with a high N requirement and for 1 year; compare it to Something that is designed to stimulate soil bacteria and organisms to release nutrients already there over a period of time.

This type of thinking treats the soil as an inert media that is there only to hold the nutrients placed there at great expense and sucked out of the soil by the university developed N siphoning plant. The acidulated fertilizer also burns the worms and organisms present so no help is gotten from them.

Organic or natural producers would never do it the way the experiment was set up, a rotation would provide the N for the crop that needed so much of it. This whole setup is extremely disingenuous :roll:
From my attending a field day of these plots, this is the first year of a 3 year study on fertility for bermuda hay production. One of the organic products actually produced a good deal of forage at a very economical price.

I do not know of a way to get 3 hay cuttings on deep sandy soils without some type of fertility program. Hay is sold to beef, dairy and hay customers. There is much interest in this area of how to cut fertility costs without sacrificing too much production.

BC":1yn5ajv3 said:
KMacGinley":1yn5ajv3 said:

From my attending a field day of these plots, this is the first year of a 3 year study on fertility for bermuda hay production. One of the organic products actually produced a good deal of forage at a very economical price.

I do not know of a way to get 3 hay cuttings on deep sandy soils without some type of fertility program. Hay is sold to beef, dairy and hay customers. There is much interest in this area of how to cut fertility costs without sacrificing too much production.

I do... apply manure to the field that you have captured from the cows. I have not bought commercial fertilizer in 6 years.

When possible, organic is a good way to go. I have a rotational grazing setup that is organic. But organic is not always feasible. If all corn, wheat, dairy and beef operations were organic, this world would starve.

BC said:

KMacGinley":1okjzvi6 said:
[I do... apply manure to the field that you have captured from the cows. I have not bought commercial fertilizer in 6 years.
I run a small cow calf operation and also sell hay. I shoot for 5 to 6 tons of hay off of my hay fields. My pastures I stock at a cow to 5 to 6 acres so I don't have to fertilize just control weeds. 2 tons of bermuda hay takes 100 -40- 85 out of the ground. Just looking for a way to replace it as economical as possible or I need to reduce my expectations if I cut back on fertility. I understand sustainable agriculture, but sustainable must also be profitable.

Needing answers on Grasshopper Fertilizer? I wanted to let you all know that anyone who is a dealer for Grasshopper Fertilizer has also been a consumer of the product so they have first hand of using it, mixing it, and recording their results. We are always working on the blends of this fertilizer. Please when you are needing info go to those who have used it, the good & the bad. When you compare products you need numbers. Fertilizer is all based on numbers and understanding the difference of how granular works and other liquid fertilizers including ours. I'm very interested on helping with information. Visit the website grasshopperfertilizer.com or even talk to those who have used it or even their dealers. This is in no way to tell anyone that this a cure for all our troubles for our hay & crop fields but it is a start in the right direction when it comes down to the dollars we are spending on our crops. Whats your bottom line at the end of the year?