good fence for neighboring bulls

Help Support CattleToday:

MtnCows93

Reaction score
im needing to redo the fences between me and my neighbor. both our bulls jump/push through to get to cows in heat, right now theres 2 fences 3 feet apart 1 old barbwire falling down and mine falling down old woven wire and 4 strand high tensile but they jump it 50'' high and mash the wire down. im really torn on if i should try and build a good woven wire fence with 2 strands of barb on top or some other type of good bull fence or should i give up and just put 2 strands of high tensile and let the bulls just jump because im afraid no matter what i build they will still get through it and i would have wasted alot of time and money? i cant ring them and hang chains because it would get ripped out in the brush/woods

i cant ring them and hang chains because it would get ripped out in the brush/woods
Hahaha, you must have read my replies to this type of question before.
How long a stretch is it? If you use hi tensile is there a way to electrify it with a 110v charger? Would continus fence be an option? Or guard rail?
I have a pasture that is divided in two 3 hi tensile wires in one side of the wood posts 2 on the other separate fence chargers for each side. The bulls each stay on their side.
We had a new 47" woven wire with a barb on top built last summer . Took the deer 3 months to jump to low broke the barb and smashed woven wire. Going to stretch a cable across the top so the deer don't break it.
Maybe a new fence with a cable or pipe on top?
Or switch to bulls that behave.

Might be to late to train these bulls to respect a fence of any kind, but I'd bet a good hot wire in a small paddock would be a start to a good education....

well im selling mine done decided that a month ago, but i aint so sure that most bulls wouldnt do the same thing. i mean when they smell a cow in heat do yall's bulls not jump? if thats the case and a new bull will probably solve my issues that would make me very happy! and yes ive got good hot power available, i need to get pictures of the fences for yall but im thinking ill turn 2 fences into 1 and on the neighbors side of new wood posts ill put 5 or 6 strands of barbwire back thats existing and get it good and banjo tight, on my side put 4 strands hot high tensile and make the fence 50'' tall what do yall think about that idea?

well im selling mine done decided that a month ago, but i aint so sure that most bulls wouldnt do the same thing. i mean when they smell a cow in heat do yall's bulls not jump? if thats the case and a new bull will probably solve my issues that would make me very happy! and yes ive got good hot power available, i need to get pictures of the fences for yall but im thinking ill turn 2 fences into 1 and on the neighbors side of new wood posts ill put 5 or 6 strands of barbwire back thats existing and get it good and banjo tight, on my side put 4 strands hot high tensile and make the fence 50'' tall what do yall think about that idea?

I would be careful putting a barb wire on one side of the posts and a hot wire on the other. No matter how tight you get them, they will loosen eventually. The deer around here would drag one into the other and ground the hot fence. Then you only have 9 right wires.

My bull lot on one farm needs redone. They could hop out of they wanted to. I had fall cows in heat on the other side of the fence, riding, and teasing. The bulls just stood there watching and talking.

Once they start roaming its hard to keep them home. New fence and new bulls will solve your problem.

My neighbor built a really good high tensile 5 strand barb wire fence with steel pipe posts and tposts. It worked ok until my Angus bull figured out he could put his head low and pick up all 5 strand and walk underneath it. We ran a single strand high tensile hot wire and put up a Patriot 30 mile solar charger. Worked great. Until we bought our polled Hereford bull.

The Hereford was a lot more tenacious. He tore the heck out of that fence. After 3 times, I bought the Gallagher 12" wire offsets - it hangs on the barb wire - and put those at bull nose height. Problem solved. He stays away from the fence now.

Latest posts