good deal or not?

Help Support CattleToday:

tncattle

Reaction score
Found 6 Angus (Black) heifers all around 14 mos. old $5000 for all. That is about $833 for each, I think it's a little high but they are good quality heifers.

tncattle":8smsydib said:
Found 6 Angus (Black) heifers all around 14 mos. old $5000 for all. That is about $833 for each, I think it's a little high but they are good quality heifers.

I don't think that's a bad price for quality replacement heifers. It's worth something if you know about their breeding, herd health, etc..

SirLoin2":m0kbuumz said:
Tncattle,
Re:

That sounds like a fair price to me even if they are from a commercial herd and open. And if they are breed, that's even better.
I just sold open first time heifers with calf by their side for $1,100.

SL

When buying 14 mos angus heifers I would not want them bred unless it was very recent and then only if I trusted the owner on his bulls BW.

Sirloin2 :shock: Congrats!! That, I believe is the nuttiest post I've seen on CT.

it sounds a little high for my area, but you may want to check open heifer prices in your area to know 4 sure. what ever the heifers would bring at the sale take 10% off that, that'll give you fair price from the individual, cause now he's not payin ring fees, testin, or haulin. He'll make more money and you'll save money. win win for all.

sirloin you are correct about your timing of when they start coming in, but I would hope that the owner would have enough since not to exspose them until they were 18mo. many commercial breeders in my area use registered bulls with epds, and I am one of them.

SirLoin2":2lreo186 said:
Now now boys and gals, you don't shoot the messenger just because you don't like the message!
So, exactly which kitty that I let out of the bag ruffled your feathers? :???:

SL

I suspect its the one about the 10 month old heifer who dropped a perfectly fine calf, but hey, I could be wrong?!

And I have seen 10 month old heifers drop a perfectly fine calf.

I believe you've set a new benchmark, the previous earliest conception I have seen posted on CT was 3 1/2 months and the heifer calved at just short of 13 months. If my math is any good the heifer(s) you've seen conceived at anywhere from 20 days to 1 month old bearing in mind a normal gestation is roughly 9 months and 10 days.

SirLoin2":qux136j3 said:
mnmtranching

Re:
Congrats!! That, I believe is the nuttiest post I've seen on CT.
Well, you are certainly entitled to your opinion.'
But exactly what part do you have a problem? Perhaps I didn't make myself clear.
SL
The part where you say beef heifers don't come into heat before 12-15 months is way wrong. The fact is 5%-10% of beef heifers left in pasture with a bull to 6 or 7 months of age will be bred and will not abort and will be a big problem come calving time. Also the part where you say a commercial cattleman won't buy a $3000 bull when he can get the same bull for $500? Please explain how, where, and why that works. The other parts of your post are just unreadable nonsense. :D

SirLoin":3g35wdgj said:
I'm not trying to pull your chain here but they would have had to been breed "recent"ly as beef heifers don't come into heat until between 12 and 15 months old.SL

There's where you said beef heifers don't come into season before 12 to 15 months.

Now, I don't know how many get bred at 6 to 7 months of age and subsequently abort, but by my own statistics, 5% to 10% will go to term.

You're potentially right about the bull, but I prefer to buy long yearlings or two year olds off test to cut the risk. And I'm commercial all the way.:D

TN Cattle, I can understand why you've not been back on for a while. I've never before seen such wiggling and wobbling to attempt to justify some erroneous statements made in previous posts. I repeat the price for the 14mos heifers heifers sounds reasonable if they are of good quality all the way around. You would be much better off if they are open and breed to a bull of your choosing. Over and out on this one.

I had 3 abort this year, and I know by their tag # they were the last few late comers that were weaned and didn't weigh 700 lbs when they aborted.. So they couldn't have been much over 8 months, if they were 8 at all.
The aborted fetus looked like a big squirrel with no hair.

No idea how big your big squirrel is, but if its anything like the squirrels we have here it would be about the size of a 5 month old foetus.

SirLoin2":3bveqh2h said:
mnmtranching

Re:
But exactly what part do you have a problem? Perhaps I didn't make myself clear.
SL
i think the problem he had with your post was right there at the first, you know when you started too speak.. and near the end when you stopped

ga. prime":2zd5zqw4 said:
SirLoin2":2zd5zqw4 said:
mnmtranching

Re:
SL
The part where you say beef heifers don't come into heat before 12-15 months is way wrong. The fact is 5%-10% of beef heifers left in pasture with a bull to 6 or 7 months of age will be bred and will not abort and will be a big problem come calving time. Also the part where you say a commercial cattleman won't buy a $3000 bull when he can get the same bull for $500? Please explain how, where, and why that works. The other parts of your post are just unreadable nonsense. :D

I will agree with Sirloin about most large commercial farms (to me that about 500+ head) not knowing the BW of their bulls. As ive posted before i know a lot less than most of you as I just work for my grandpa and take orders but i do know he doesnt know the BW of his bulls. Most of the bulls are picked up out of the sale barn or from a neighbor. I do find it hard to think anyone could get a bull of quality for $500 but I would also never pay for some registered bull thats more expensive than the deuce. Ive just been taught its worth it to buy a good looking bull from the sale barn thats been semen checked. You dont know their background other than what a vet could tell ya by checking them out. At least thats always been my understanding.

Sirloin was wrong I think in talkign about a 10 mo old heifer calving (just seems unlikely to me) not that I havent heard crazier things happen but no reason to dissect everything he said. Ya all are going to make him afraid to post in the future. Just point out where ya disagree and be done with it,but I just wanted to say I agree with him on that part about not knowing much about the bulls that breed the heifers other than the fact he could get the job done and what his physical physique was like. Thats more than my 2 cents of the conversation . :D

SirLoin2":29bhh787 said:
As for the bulls BW, if we are talking about buying from a commercial operation they most likely don't have a BW to give you ,as many raise their own bulls from their own heard or they bought breeder's cull bulls at weaning or the heifer was breed by a half brother or cousin from in the heard because roundup and castration was done late.
SL

FYI, a heifer or cow is not BREED by a bull, she is BRED by a bull. At first I thought this was a typo, but you've said the same thing 8 or 10 times in your most recent flurry of posts. Also, a group of cattle is called a HERD, not a HEARD. If your going to continue to claim to know more than you do, you might want to bone up on some of the terminology.

Latest posts