Good day went bad

Help Support CattleToday:

coachg

Reaction score
Went to water and check cows this afternoon when I noticed one of our second calf commercial angus cows off by herself so I went to see what was going on. She was standing over her dead bull calf. No sign of a hard labor or any suggestion of a problem. Full term, fully developed , not too big, just not breathing. Not sure if he suffocated , no afterbirth in sight. She had him cleaned up and was trying to get him up. I've had cattle many years but still breaks my heart when this happens. All our calves born over the last 2 months have been smallish. Suffering through this drought is much of the blame for these light calves ; just not sure if it played a part in losing this little guy today or just bad luck. Makes me uneasy with 5-6 due through the rest of Nov.

This is true. I worked for a coal company. A lady would come in and clean my office each day. One day her nose was bleeding. She looked at me and said, "If it ain't one end, its the other."

Truth. I just looked at her and she smiled.

Well, seems like with cattle, if it ain't one thing going wrong, it is the other.

Sorry.

I hate that for you. I know that feeling, its not a good one.

Its possible that the calf came out backwards,(not breach) and sometimes when they come out backwards,(back feet first) the cord breaks before the calf gets their head and chest out. When the cord breaks, it trigger them to start to breathe. If their head doesn't get out right away, they will suffocate.

I hope the rest go smoothly for you.

Yeh that's tough to take, sorry. When you think about what has to happen for them to get out successfully I think it is a miracle that there are not many more losses.

Ken

Must be going around. Had an older cow laying near the hay feeder, with the last 10 cows that are calving, and there was a fully developed dead bull calf. She kept nosing it trying to get it up. Makes me feel so bad for them.
Have no idea what the problem was but it wasn't terribly big and no signs of problems. So we got them in the barn, I called a couple of dairies and found a hol bull calf and went and got it this morning. Put her in the chute and gave her some grain, finally got the calf on her (holsteins can be SO DUMB) and she was so good. Never kicked or anything. She still is looking for "her calf" but is tolerating this one. Put her in again tonight and the calf went right on her once I put him up to her. She just ate her grain and when she was done, let them both back out in the small lot. She keeps looking up towards the field, but if she does okay the next day or two, then the manure will smell right and she should take it.
Usually I skin the dead calf out but since hers was obviously never up and on her, she isn't as sure if she should fight it. Have had some really be a pain for a day or two, and some I've skinned and put it on the new calf and in 24 hours they are licking it and all, like it was theirs at birth. Shipped one this spring that would let the calf nurse when you gave her a bite of grain in the pen, and as soon as she thought you weren't looking, would take her head and send him up against the wall of the pen. 2 weeks, and she did it one day and I said B****, you wrote your ticket and she went on the truck and I put the calf on a bottle. You do what you can.