Which Calf?

• Lim x Simm

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Char x Lim x Simm

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Radi Cilo

Reaction score
I have recently purchased a pure angus steer 7 month old calf.
I want to buy a buddy for it, and Have gotten offered two seven and a half month old steer calves.

The first is Simmental (50%) x Limousin (50%) - Sire is Limousin. Dam is Simmental
The other is Charolais (50%) x Simmental (25%) x Limousin (25%) - Sire is Charolais. Dam is Limousin x Simmental

They both look in good condition, and it is a hard choice for me.

So in your opinions, which will produce more $?

Without seeing them, the charolaisx will probably hang a heavier carcase, as to which will generate the most profit, there is no way anyone could speculate on the information supplied. They both sound like great terminal crosses, exactly the sort I like to buy. If I had a herd of commercial Sim cows I would most likely use a lim on the heifers and a char subsequently.

Sorry, I don't have any pics.
I already have the Angus calf, I know he will most likley bring in the most. He is my show calf. I was wondering out of the two I was offered which will bring more.

The two I was offered I want to buy so I can have a buddy for him.
Yes, He was telling me the advantages of both.

He said the x Char would gain more
And the Lim x Simm would most likley bring more per pound around our parts.

If we were talking in generalities I would say that a Charolais/Simmie-Limmi would be the heaviest of the three crosses when finished and an Angus would more than likely be the highest quality when finished. In the real world, I would have to at least see pics. There are flat ribbed Chars and growthy Anguses out there so talking in generalities about calves based on breed is not wise.

What are you doing with them?? Are these going to be show steers, stockers, or freezer beef???

Angus is going to be my show steer.
Simm/Limm or x Char (not sure yet) is going to be stocker.

I understand the Angus is your show steer & you want a companion.
If you plan on eating it, I would go with the Simm X Lim.
Out of the three continentals, Simm will marble best, based on MARC research, and my personal experiences thru carcass contests & bull test scannings.
The charolais x steer might out gain the other one.
Yes, this is a broad statement, and yes, there are lots of individual herds that have improved their breed characteristics. This is based on breed average information.
So it depends on what you plan on doing with the calf to make the most money.

Latest posts