Good Charolais x cows

Help Support CattleToday:

S.R.R.

Reaction score
The son ( 45yr old ) of my neighbor that you have heard me refer to in other posts. Is talking about down sizing as in the actual size of their cows. They now have Charolais that they breed to Red Angus. He wants to keep heifers from their cows. What would make a good Char cross for a good moma cow.? Would you think a Char cross Red Angus is good? Or would you use another breed of cattle to cross with a Char to make a good med size moma cow.

S.R.R.":35ej064d said:
The son ( 45yr old ) of my neighbor that you have heard me refer to in other posts. Is talking about down sizing as in the actual size of their cows. They now have Charolais that they breed to Red Angus. He wants to keep heifers from their cows. What would make a good Char cross for a good moma cow.? Would you think a Char cross Red Angus is good? Or would you use another breed of cattle to cross with a Char to make a good med size moma cow.

None better!

dun

S.R.R.":3lo9bp7o said:

Though it is easy to downsize Purebred Chars, the Red Angus will be an excellent cross if you want crossbreds.

Red Angus x Char, Blk Angus x Char, Herf X Char and my favourite, Shorthorn x Char, all make great medium F1 cows if they're coming out of decent stock. I don't think your friend will be sorry with those RA x C heifers.

Honey's dad started out with that old standard britisher, Horned Hereford cows, and when contenintals became available he crossed them to Char bulls.

Those thick broody cows that could really lay the fat to their calves. and has he ever raised some cracking calves over the years, especially when those F1 cows were bred Char or Sim.

As a matter of fact, one of those cows raised a calf that was born on Feb.11 and weighed 1100lbs even when it was sold in early November of the same year.

No creep, just Peace Country grass and momma's milk. The old folks still have that sale receipt - they get a chuckle out of remembering arguing with the auction staff that the calf was NOT a yearling. ;-)

Take care.

WoW! :shock: With all the different breeds that people raise on this board I thought there would be other ideas on good crosses. It looks like Angus wins agian :roll:

S.R.R.":1xt9fnkd said:
WoW! :shock: With all the different breeds that people raise on this board I thought there would be other ideas on good crosses. It looks like Angus wins agian :roll:

Red Angus wins. No chance of the rat-tail that can get you docked at sale time.

dun

dun":3c858dlf said:
S.R.R.":3c858dlf said:

Red Angus wins. No chance of the rat-tail that can get you docked at sale time.

dun
Good point on the RED part.

Latest posts