Good calves for grass feeding

Help Support CattleToday:

Ohio Cattle Chick

Reaction score
Hello. Looking for some input, live in the NW Ohio area and have good grass land we are thinking about putting some calves on in the spring. Anyone have any tips or advise on breeds, fencing or anything in general to get started? :D

Look into intensive grazing. It is the most efficient use of your grass.

CSM

Soil test. Then grass then fence then corral. Trip to salebarn to see what is bringing the best price.
Mainly I think that if you have to ask these type of questions you should not get involved with stockers. Start with some older docile cow calf pairs and learn a little more about cattle first.
Welcome to the boards.

I've been around cattle for about 10 years now, but had show cattle, that I kept in the barn for the majority of the time, and grain fed. Just looking to see what is out there. Happened to take a few years off and getting back into, and wanted to see what is new and exciting in the cattle world. This isn't my first rodeo. ;-)

In that case I would go with what you know. Maybe show calf prospects.
Stockers can be very difficult. You will need very good fenceing and working pens. But I would still start with the soil test and work up from there. If you have good grass and your other infrastructure, stockers may be a good way to make imediate use of it and generate some capital in order to buy the cattle you want to end up with.

Latest posts