Good But Sad

Help Support CattleToday:

FarmGirl10

Reaction score
Well I just released the baby cottontails I've been caring for. I miss them already. :frowns: I found a good place to release them that had plenty of cover and food. I loved seeing my babies running free and being wild, but as soon as I let them go I tried to catch them and bring them back home. :oops:

They probably would have lived longer but that is how it all works. I caught a baby while cutting hay. Didn't think the conditioner left the ma in any condition to care for the babe. We kept it and finally released it at the house. It hung around for about two years. Second year it had a friend. Don't know what happened after that. We had named it Easter.

Jogeephus":10jn1q22 said:
They probably would have lived longer but that is how it all works. I caught a baby while cutting hay. Didn't think the conditioner left the ma in any condition to care for the babe. We kept it and finally released it at the house. It hung around for about two years. Second year it had a friend. Don't know what happened after that. We had named it Easter.
So it was a real live Easter bunny? :lol: I just went to check on them :oops: and all is going good, but they run from me. It's kind of sad but I'm glad to know that i didn't imprint them.

Sometimes I think we don't quit understand nature. As people I think we want to always pull for the underdog. A long time ago I remember my wife screaming for me from the front of the house. I ran out there frantic, thinking one of the kids was hurt. She was standing guard over some baby birds, chicks, that had fallen out of there nests. The dogs were wanting to investigate the commotion. Great! She said "I know we are not supposed to touch them. What are we going to do." She was screaming at the dogs to stay away and yelling at me do to something. I said "Go get some towels or gloves to pick them up with." As she was running in the house I told the kids to go help her. As soon as they were gone. I walked away and let the dogs have a free meal. Like I want to take care of some damn birds. I made up some excuse about the dogs overwhelming me. She was mad at the dogs for a couple weeks. I didn't have to take care of baby birds.

We raised some baby birds that had nested in the grill of the daycare van. They all fledged except for one. We took turns taking them home at night for feedings. Used meal worms and tweezers. It was a lot of work but very rewarding.

My brother was always bringing home baby cotton tails. They never lived long, although we did get one to adulthood and he lived in a cage in the backyard for several years.

Latest posts