Good bull to cross on a beefmaster

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

I run a small herd of mostly beefmaster cattle. I would like to run a bull that will cause the calves to be more market friendly but still gentle enough to move pretty easily. I work the cattle by myself most of the time.

[email protected]

I good angus will do the job for you. Black color, polled, high market acceptance, generally good dispositions. I would use a Red Angus and give up the black color, but it seems red hided cattle do better on "our" pasture then black. Also red and black is pretty much a wash sale price wise in this area.

dunmovin farms

I run a small herd of mostly
> beefmaster cattle. I would like to
> run a bull that will cause the
> calves to be more market friendly
> but still gentle enough to move
> pretty easily. I work the cattle
> by myself most of the time.

You said red is as good as black in your area. How would a Hereford bull do? They seem to be much less expensive than Angus or some of the more popular breeds.

> I good angus will do the job for
> you. Black color, polled, high
> market acceptance, generally good
> dispositions. I would use a Red
> Angus and give up the black color,
> but it seems red hided cattle do
> better on "our" pasture
> then black. Also red and black is
> pretty much a wash sale price wise
> in this area.

> dunmovin farms

> I run a small herd of mostly

[email protected]

I meant a solid red. In This area you can hardly give away Hereford. Several years ago we bought a long yearling Polled Hereford heifer for $190., baldies, solid red or black were in the $485 to $500 range. A friend of mine bought an entire herd of Polled Hereford cows for next to nothing a couple of years ago. He ran a black Angus bull with them and has made great money off of the calves, but he still can't give away the cows. That's this area, 100 miles from here, closer to the KS border they sell nearly as well as solids. Beefmaster probably have enough Hereford influence to get the heterosis from them, angus should help the carcass traits. If you're looking for just max growth you might consider a Gelbvieh or Simmenthal bull. My opinion on the subject.

dunmovin farms

> You said red is as good as black
> in your area. How would a Hereford
> bull do? They seem to be much less
> expensive than Angus or some of
> the more popular breeds.

I have GOT to say: "LIMOUSIN!" a good RED one. The Limousin beef is considered very lean and tender, the calving ease is usually VERY good, along with calf vigor. Within a few days of birth, you have this long-legged calf that is putting on pounds every time it looks at its mama's bag... what more could you want? Just my Limousin opinion...

[email protected]

Latest posts