Good book/website on calving

Help Support CattleToday:

f4leggin

Reaction score
Hi -

I'm new to cattle (said that one before), and for some stupid reason, even though I had 6 bred cows due in March, I thought I had time to research the whole caving process. Needless to say, we've had 3 (or 4) calfs since Saturday. I really need to understand the birthing process better. What I know so far is that some of my cows dissappeared for a few days to calf (found one right after calving, the other one showed up back in the herd with a calf this afternoon after being gone a few days). What I don't know if the timeline for labor and calving. This afternoon, one cow was visibly in labor, when I looked for a calf coming out, all I saw was a baseball sized membrane looking thing protuding slightly. Within 30 minutes, she was back up walking around.

Here's the really crazy part - she may have calved, and the other missing black cow came back w/o her calf because it's hidden. Bottom in was 1) I have 3 big black cows I can't tell apart 2) One has been missing for a few days, 3) one had a calf Saturday morning. I left this afternoon with 9 black cows, one in labor, and 1 calf (and one brown cow with a calf) - came back 2 hours later, I had 10 black cows, and 2 calfs. I guess I'll know more what's up tomorrow morning (will there be 3 calfs....)

Anyway, I obviously need to do some reading.

TIA - Jill

f4leggin":f6e8u7cp said:
Hi -

I'm new to cattle (said that one before), and for some stupid reason, even though I had 6 bred cows due in March, I thought I had time to research the whole caving process. Needless to say, we've had 3 (or 4) calfs since Saturday. I really need to understand the birthing process better. What I know so far is that some of my cows dissappeared for a few days to calf (found one right after calving, the other one showed up back in the herd with a calf this afternoon after being gone a few days). What I don't know if the timeline for labor and calving. This afternoon, one cow was visibly in labor, when I looked for a calf coming out, all I saw was a baseball sized membrane looking thing protuding slightly. Within 30 minutes, she was back up walking around.

Here's the really crazy part - she may have calved, and the other missing black cow came back w/o her calf because it's hidden. Bottom in was 1) I have 3 big black cows I can't tell apart 2) One has been missing for a few days, 3) one had a calf Saturday morning. I left this afternoon with 9 black cows, one in labor, and 1 calf (and one brown cow with a calf) - came back 2 hours later, I had 10 black cows, and 2 calfs. I guess I'll know more what's up tomorrow morning (will there be 3 calfs....)

TIA - Jill

Here is a good link. Go through it and read all that you can. It will help.

You need to ID your cows somehow. Ear tags work well. Then you can tell the difference between them. The ball shaped membrane you saw was the water bag. Generally a cow will have calved within 1/2 hour after that. If she takes longer then there is usually a problem and she should be checked out!

The first signs of labour you will generally notice is when the cow separates herself from the herd. She will often wander around, lay down and get back up and find a private spot. The next step is the water bag, it may take a few hours or a few minutes for it to appear once the cow goes off by herself. That depends on the cow. Once the waterbag appears you should see feet fairly quickly. It should take a cow less than 1 hour from waterbag to birth. Longer than that usually means some sort of a problem. When the feet appear if the soles are pointing down it usually means the calf is coming correctly. If the soles are pointing upwards then it means you either have a backwards calf, or an upside down one. You need to assist these deliveries. You should ALWAYS see 2 feet. If you only see on then you need to assist as well. There are other malpresentations, but those are the most common. If you don't have experience get SOMEONE that does, either a vet or an experienced cattleman.

f4leggin":251nnpd6 said:
Hi -

TIA - Jill

Before you read, walk and find the cow. Never know when they could be haveing trouble. Tomorrow may be to late. Keep counting when you are missing one find it.
Like Cowboy says.

Besides all that it's great exersize, and part of the enjoyment of haveing cattle.

Thx for your replies. This is type of info I need. I am in way over my head. How I got here is a story, but I'm a horse breeder, so I know what it means to be responsible to my livestock. I have 5 bred cows, 2 steers, and 3 heifers. They are tagged by group I think - the heifers and steers all have purple tages with no numbers, two of the bred cows have numbered orange tags, and the last 3 bred cows just have orange tags which is why I can't tell them apart. I am going to study them today and find some differences so I will know who is who. They are on treed 120 acres which is why I couldn't find the one who was missing. I know I need to set up some pens. I have lots of pipe, a shute (all the stuff I need), but at this point, nothing has been set up. I thought I had more time. Thanks again for your help. Jill

Hate to chastise you, because you indicate you want to learn and they are calving sooner than you expected. BUT, you must SEE each & every cow - at least twice a day. If you can't maybe a neighbor can. Generally, cows should be able to lay down & spit out a calf. But, they can have problems - mostly abnormal presentations. But, you also are not familiar with these cows or the bull they were bred to, and they may have calving difficulties from the calf being too big for them. You just never know - even with cows we have raised. They are totally unpredictable.
If the cow you saw had the water bag showing when you got there, she instinctively got up because you were there. The water bag will slip back inside the cow & she won't lay back down with you watching (normally). They can even have feet out & you won't see them if she gets up if she isn't very far along.
As others have said, you need to ID your cattle with eartags.
Now, granted, you can just leave them alone & if they come back with a live calf, great. If not, oh well. But, you don't sound like you want to be that kind of animal owner.

I appreciate the advice - I need it, and I'm tough and know that it hasn't been the best as of now. See, a good friend died and before he passed, he told his family that he wanted myself and another of his friends to have the cattle. Up until this past few days, I thought it was just because he knew I was interested in learning more and possibly having cattle, and the other friend had been like a son to him. BUT today I realized it was probably because our friend knew that I would have the compassion and commitment to his cattle, while my partner in this venture would be able to make the tough decisions (like culling). Also, my partner grew up on a cattle ranch and his father still runs cattle (lots) so, my partner knows a lot about cattle. BUT - he was snow mobiling this past weekend, and told me not worry about them cows, they know what they are doing, and everything will be OK. Which obviously is a load of xxxx. We are supposed to be more involved other than just counting heads and patting ourselves on the back when a new calf shows up. I'm thankful that so far, the cattle have been OK. 10 big bales of Alfalfa came with the cattle, they get it free choice, but other than that I haven't been feeding anything. Sounds like I need to add minerals - like 1212? Or something? Today I was able to see that the big cows with orange tages w/o numbers actually have numbers on the tags, but the ink as worn off. So, now I know who is left to calve (three of them). I have 3 on the ground, one bull calf, one heifer calf, and one still an unknown - the newest from yesterday. I also talked to my partner today and convinced him he has to be more involved. Up until now, I have been doing everything. Thanks again for your honesty and help. Jill

Instead of BUYING a mineral feeder (must keep COSTS down). You can make one easily out of a 50 gallon plastic barrel.
On the top of this page, go to SEARCH & seach "Dun's mineral feeder." You should find a pic.

For some reason, I think someone on this board has a short video of a cow claving on their own website. Maybe someone else remembers. Here is a link to a site that has U-Tube videos on calving. Probably not real instructional, but will give you a general idea of what's going on.
http://stonyfield.typepad.com/
I have S L O W dial up so I haven't personally checked it out. Good luck!

Dee":3vtx2mex said:
For some reason, I think someone on this board has a short video of a cow claving on their own website. Maybe someone else remembers. Here is a link to a site that has U-Tube videos on calving. Probably not real instructional, but will give you a general idea of what's going on.
http://stonyfield.typepad.com/
I have S L O W dial up so I haven't personally checked it out. Good luck!

I recall that too. Can;t remember who but it seems like it was Beefy. I'll blame it on him anyway!

dun

Latest posts