Good Beginners Cattle Breed

Help Support CattleToday:

Gave up on the sticks and canes after the late great 'snowroll'. When I check the cows (speaking of which it's almost time to head out again) I walk softly with my flashlight and long-handled pitchfork.

She with the biggest horns wins! ;-)

Take care.

CattleAnnie":32jpfkii said:
Gave up on the sticks and canes after the late great 'snowroll'. When I check the cows (speaking of which it's almost time to head out again) I walk softly with my flashlight and long-handled pitchfork.

She with the biggest horns wins! ;-)

Take care.

I guess I'm a sissy. I take the truck and a powerful spot light. I've descovered over the years that sheet metal can take a banging a lot better then this ol body can.

dun

Well i'm still young and stupid. i went for a hike in the secret calving spot (young pines and briars) last night after dark looking for the rattail heifer. about the time i got down to the creek my spotlight went out. i was close enough to hear her mooing (the cleaning moo). went back later on the four wheeler. sometimes its good to stop and listen in the dark...
I took my cellphone and figured i could beat something off with the spotlight if i had to..lol

Simply Bovine":13ytce9t said:
See! I knew you guys could tell me more than a book ever could! I think I was right!! I'm printing everything you all have told me and filing it with my cattle info.

As far as distance to travel for cattle I don't know yet. I am trying to get my husband interested in northern Texas. What do you all think about that area as far as raising beef cattle?? Also don't know what breeds are the most popular in those areas.

My husband would travel quite a ways with me if he thought it was worth it for us. He's quite interested in this whole cattle thing, which really surprised me.
Bovine are you talking about moving to Texas or just going to look for cattle there? Whichever way it is could make a difference in a lot of things.

Moving to Texas. My husband's company has a branch down there in Denton. More open land around there, than here in MN too. Also we're tired of the bitter cold. He said if I wanted his help with the outside animals that we needed to move to a milder climate.

However, if we did move there we would be looking for cattle in that area. Cattle who could deal with the heat and bugs.

Another side question-How's that Mad Cow Disease affecting the cattle market these days. I heard something about a few cases in Canada?

We found a breed that I feel is an excellent one for beginners. American British White Parks. Extreme docility! It doesn't get any better than this! No more chasing across the pasture til near exhaustion. Easy to pen and load. Most have no "flight zone" meaning they are not afraid of humans and let you work with them and among them without constantly moving away. Records of birth kept by existing American British White Park breeders show that in general losses are very small when compared to to other popular breeds. ABWP's calving birth sizes range from 70 lbs to 84 lbs with 76 being about average. These cattle are easy keepers and have great weight gains on pasture only. This is not a large breed but mid sized. Not as many breeders as this is not a well known breed but there are a few in most states with a few in MN and lots in TX. Contact info for breeders can be found at http://www.whitecattle.org and I have pictures and more info at my website http://www.americanbritishwhite.com My husband had raised cattle before but I had not been around them much. As a new breeder myself, I have found that I made the right decision going with American British White Parks. I can't say enough good about them. We feel we really found a gem in the haystack with this breed. Hope this helps and Good Luck!